2020 defender limited window switches

Chris1009

Question

• Member ID:  499
  • Content Count:  6

Ok. $25,000 and windows switches work for a year maybe. This side x side is nice and has a lot of great attributes but for the price, the quality doesn’t add up. So where are people buying replacement window switches? I asked my dealer about the problem and he said “yea it’s been a problem, guys are just buying a 10 pack of switches.” Really, put hand cranks in them if that’s the case, definitely not getting what you payed for. I’m sure others are experiencing this, right?

12 answers to this question

• Member ID:  814
  • Content Count:  37

Def an issue.I had dealer replace both the windshield wiper switch and window switch due to this. They failed again. I talked to a friend who works on electronics and suggested using Nutrol contact cleaner. It worked. I opened up the switches and sprayed this on the contact and have not had any issues sense. A pain in the ass, but seems like the cheapest solution for all switches. 

https://www.amazon.ca/MG-Chemicals-Control-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B005T6I9HQ/ref=asc_df_B005T6I9HQ/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292954213126&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12383779677521969096&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002150&hvtargid=pla-569048076214&psc=1

Edited by ArcticHD8XTCab

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

There are several threads on here, do a search and hopefully you will find an alternative, I have not had any problems so far?🙂

• Member ID:  801
  • Content Count:  10

Yep, my drivers door doesn't work when I want it to, only when it wants to. I'm sure the can am rep will say it's because it is lifted with bigger tires, and throws off the aerodynamic of the machine, which in turn makes the window switches inoperable. Totally my fault. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Yes and the switches and wiring are probably made in China like they are on most other vehicles.

Remove the switch and take it to an autoparts store if you want to; for a replacement comparison they are cheap and made in the same country.🙂

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

Here's the &12.00 replacement switch from Spemco p/n VLD1G66B. There will be a plastic pin which need to get cut off. Other then that they wok great. 

I ordered 3 more this morning before i posted this!

• Member ID:  1,325
  • Content Count:  1

I pulled my driver side door apart. The switches are not the issue. I have power to the window drive motor when the switch is toggled. Something inside the motor is not working. Does anyone know any more about the motor itself? Like can I buy just the motor and not the whole assembly for $689.99 from BRP. The motor itself has Italy stamped into the metal casing on the back of it along with "N SMt". Printed on the side of the motor is: 

70.001.001 D3084.04       along with a date code    06/09/19-18

The plastic worm gear drive the motor attaches to has "Lames" molded into it.

• Member ID:  1,622
  • Content Count:  1

The problem with the window switches and possibly others I think is an electrical engineering one. After having mine fail twice now and after taking it apart and cleaning, it is appears that there is too much power going to the switch. This is causing arching between the contact points which over time causes carbon deposits to build up preventing good contact. It is an easy but slightly delicate operation to take apart remove the deposits, re assemble and install however it seems to me that a proper relay in the circuit would fix the problem. My guess it would take a class action suit to get Can Am to remedy unless you do this yourself. Could this potentially be presented as a safety issue eg it is raining hard, the widow gets stuck in the down position and distracts the driver ?? Perhaps if enough of us would petition the NTSB Can Am might fix this. 

• Member ID:  787
  • Content Count:  12

Good thinking. I would advocate for that except for the fact in my case I’m so tired of electrical issues and the associated costs, I’m going to sell and buy a Polaris!

Edited by Pflom

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

16 hours ago, Pflom said:

Good thinking. I would advocate for that except for the fact in my case I’m so tired of electrical issues and the associated costs, I’m going to sell and buy a Polaris!

make sure you get one that you can drive, also carry a big fire extinguisher with you.

steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member ID:  814
  • Content Count:  37

So I just did this again on my friends machine and figured I would post some photos on how to clean. 

I use a battery terminal cleaning tool that has a wire brush on one side and emery board on the other. Lightly spray on the Nu-Trol control cleaner let it sit for a bit first. You need to clean both the switch and the base. Both get full of carbon I assume from cheap material but also the dust. Hope this helps. Takes about 10min and usually is good for the season/ 

IMG_8783.JPG

IMG_8786.JPG

IMG_8787.JPG

IMG_8788.JPG

IMG_8790.JPG

IMG_8791.JPG

Edited by ArcticHD8XTCab
  • Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,803
  • Content Count:  15

Cleaning the contacts is great. If you coat them with a thin layer of dielectric grease it solves the problem. 

• Member ID:  1,801
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks ArticHd8 for a reply.

I have taken the switches apart and cleaned the carbon deposits from the contacts on the windshield wiper for instance and was able to make it function again. However I decided to replace all three window switches with new ones. What’s weird is the passenger window will operate from the drivers position but not from the passenger side. Switch contact resistance is low at 0.2 to 0.3ohms so I have ruled out that as the failure mode.