Cooling and Brakes

drpeppertx

• Member ID:  97
  • Content Count:  2

Ive got a new 2019 Defender Max XD-10 Lone Star Edition.  I love it so far!  I have a couple of issues im wondering about.  I bought this in September and the brakes squeak all the time.  It doesn't sound like metal or anything but its annoying.  Last night, I was backing it into the garage and it sounded like one of the back brakes was rubbing.  Maybe some mud in the wheel?

Also, when it gets hot, after a long ride, there is something that comes on after the engine is turned off.  Its in the engine compartment, but I thought the fan was in the front.  Im just trying to make sure I don't have any "real" issues.  I have about 400 miles on it (30 hours) and I don't have a dealership right down the road.  Its about 2 hours so not an easy day.  Thanks for any help and suggestions. 

• Member ID:  67
  • Content Count:  35

Believe it or not the brakes pads are probably cooked. Can am is notorious for crap brake pads. My 2013 outlander’s didn’t last 175 miles. When I picked up the defender I asked the dealer if they had improved the brake pads and they said no they still go quick. 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  137
  • Content Count:  11

@ Joe_c...  I have 2400 miles on my stock brakes.  they squeek too, but I credited the pure dust environment.  Have you found a reliable replacement for stock?

Thanks,

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I have no problem or needed to replace the stock brakes on two outlanders but I wash the area at the top of the caliper (after every mud ride) to make sure nothing is jammed in the area that will prevent the caliper from retracting.

The noise you heard after shutting the engine off was probably the fan, it is not unusual for the fan to come on after engine shut down or sometimes it is running when you shut the engine off. I try to idle the engine for a bit after a ride when it is hot outside to allow the fan to cycle before shut off. FYI

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  102
  • Content Count:  51

On 3/19/2019 at 11:41 AM, drpeppertx said:

Ive got a new 2019 Defender Max XD-10 Lone Star Edition.  I love it so far!  I have a couple of issues im wondering about.  I bought this in September and the brakes squeak all the time.  It doesn't sound like metal or anything but its annoying.  Last night, I was backing it into the garage and it sounded like one of the back brakes was rubbing.  Maybe some mud in the wheel?

Also, when it gets hot, after a long ride, there is something that comes on after the engine is turned off.  Its in the engine compartment, but I thought the fan was in the front.  Im just trying to make sure I don't have any "real" issues.  I have about 400 miles on it (30 hours) and I don't have a dealership right down the road.  Its about 2 hours so not an easy day.  Thanks for any help and suggestions. 

Have a 19 DefenderXT brakes are loud also and I haven’t even hit my first oil change! 

• Member ID:  135
  • Content Count:  49

My lonestar's brakes squeak from time to time as well. It did it from brand new.

I know the noise you're talking about and I have yet to pin point it just yet. The fan will kick on, but the noise you're talking about in the engine bay is something else. I've been told it's normal, but still have no clue to what it is.

• Member ID:  137
  • Content Count:  11

On 6/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, zk-315 said:

My lonestar's brakes squeak from time to time as well. It did it from brand new.

I know the noise you're talking about and I have yet to pin point it just yet. The fan will kick on, but the noise you're talking about in the engine bay is something else. I've been told it's normal, but still have no clue to what it is.

Is it kind of a squeal?  I find that the fuel cap must not be a vented style and after a decent ride it makes a squeal. crack the cap to relieve?  otherwise, only my fan runs after shutdown

• Member ID:  161
  • Content Count:  42

Hi guys

I have a few issue on my 2019 Max Cab H10 XT with 22 hours.  I’m not complaint yet but when you pay this much coin for a utility vehicle I expect more.  Just sold my 2014 Kawasaki Teryx 4  LE vinyl cab , was very noisy and dusty but built like a tank “no issues “ it had 11,000 klm 

1.  Brake squeal ?

2.  Annoying squeaking from dump  area ?

3.  Biggest one is the Rattle/Clunking in the front end when riding slow over wash board type rocky dirt roads it’s been there from day one and again only 20 hrs on it.  It’s like someone left a wrench or screw driver inside the dash or front end area. I’ve tore the thing apart trying to find it. I’ve put silicone or foam padding on and between everything I can see inside the dash area but no luck. Another way I can describe it is like a worn out Sway bar link knock or a bad ball joint.  I jacked up the front end under the center body and had jack stand under it and shook the links and used a bar and lifted under the tires but it’s solid ??  I’m at a lost as to what else to check !

Thanks TB

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  161
  • Content Count:  42

Replaced the pads which only had 800 klm and not worn at all.  Put on the Race Driven and no squeal !

TB

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  236
  • Content Count:  3

TrueBlue,

Can you add a link to the pads you purchased? I would like to upgrade mine.