Windshield options

Justjimmy

• Member ID:  87
  • Content Count:  33

I'm looking to get a windshield for my XMR.  I ride in central Florida so it's hot most of the time but can get cold in the winter months (NOT cold like you northerners get).  My bigger problem is it rains, HARD, at a moment's notice so I need a windshield that can close quickly but is open most of the time for the much needed breeze. I have certain requirements:

Must be on the bike at all times. When out on the trails, I have no place to store it.

Must me able to open and close at a moment's notice. Rain comes quickly

Any thoughts/recommendations?

My wife found this one?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO0FAZI/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_jUAJCbPJQCS00

• Member ID:  67
  • Content Count:  35

I am also looking for a windshield so am interested in seeing others opinions.  I live in PA so i need it for the cold too but also would like one that folds down/up quickly.  My concern with the one you linked too is with the way it lays on the hood getting caught on branches. I found this one

https://www.amazon.com/2016-2018-CAN-AM-DEFENDER-POLYCARBONATE-WINDSHIELD/dp/B07B8Q22D4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1DRZJALK7YSSL&keywords=defender+windshield&qid=1552929549&s=automotive&sprefix=defender+wind%2Cautomotive%2C128&sr=1-7

I like that it folds down on itself like a golf cart.  Can't find much on them though.  And they seem to have mixed reviews. 

Issue we have is the hinge in the middle of the windshield.  Wife is short and would be directly in her line of sight.  

It's hard finding one that meets our needs.

The one Can Am has flips up but the trails are brutal and I'm afraid the rough trails would make it bounce too much and the branches may rip it off.

My previous bike was a Polaris General and that windshield flipped down onto the hood. Hinge was low so completely out of the way. Window opening was shorter in height and the hood was longer so it sat nicely on the hood when folded down.  This Defender has a much taller window opening and a VERY short hood so the Polaris type of windshield wouldn't work on this beast.

Problem with the General was, there was ALWAYS something broken on the suspension... axles, shocks, bearings. Great engine but crap suspension.  Was tired of driving it like an old man and always fixing something. Hoping this one is stronger.  I really drive it carefully.

Will keep looking for a windshield that works.  Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the info. If you find something else please let me know. I think I’m gonna try the one I sent you. I’m also afraid the flip up or one onto the hood will get ripped off. I’m tall so I’m hoping it’s not too much a nuisance. 

A friend of ours is a boat owner and suggested a plastic "boat type" roll-up windshield.  Thinking about that but still researching.

• Member ID:  64
  • Content Count:  88

14 hours ago, Justjimmy said:

I'm looking to get a windshield for my XMR.  I ride in central Florida so it's hot most of the time but can get cold in the winter months (NOT cold like you northerners get).  My bigger problem is it rains, HARD, at a moment's notice so I need a windshield that can close quickly but is open most of the time for the much needed breeze. I have certain requirements:

Must be on the bike at all times. When out on the trails, I have no place to store it.

Must me able to open and close at a moment's notice. Rain comes quickly

Any thoughts/recommendations?

My wife found this one?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO0FAZI/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_jUAJCbPJQCS00

Justjimmy, I also thought long and hard about what windshield to go with. I ended up going with can ams flip up windshield. I like the option for a full open when hot and sunny. The option I really like is the 1/4 open postition which will give you plenty of airflow to keep cool and dry during a hot rainy day. I installed the glass option but I’m sure the hardcoat poly would also work for you. Nice thing is no matter what position you never have an obstructed view. If your planning on mudding a whole lot glass option definitely is nicer to avoid scratching when washing. 

90C4E28B-BE2E-4421-AB61-FB6321F38D0F.jpeg

F899A4A3-2CA7-43D2-A2A1-A0D21E324DCB.jpeg

BC33E9B8-307C-4B3F-9E80-9E2D9328B057.jpeg

@Rudy - lots of questions

How much does this open? 

Are there different levels that it opens and stays fixed at that angle?

What mechanism does it use to hold it open?

This mechanism to hold it opened, do you think it'd be durable on a bumpy trail?  Will it be a problem opened at high speeds?

How hard to install?

Lastly, can you show pictures of the opening levels?

I (we) GREATLY appreciate any information you can provide.  Websites are vague. thanks

Looks GREAT!

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

• Member ID:  64
  • Content Count:  88

4 hours ago, Justjimmy said:

@Rudy - lots of questions

How much does this open? 

Are there different levels that it opens and stays fixed at that angle?

What mechanism does it use to hold it open?

This mechanism to hold it opened, do you think it'd be durable on a bumpy trail?  Will it be a problem opened at high speeds?

How hard to install?

Lastly, can you show pictures of the opening levels?

I (we) GREATLY appreciate any information you can provide.  Websites are vague. thanks

Looks GREAT!

The two pictures I posted are the two, full open and 1/4 open positions other than fully closed. Install took me about 30 minutes. Window is held full open with struts. During install I had one strut connected and it held the windshield up. You mount a handle on dash and that’s what locks it closes or in 1/4 position. If you’re doing big jumps or rough terrain and want it full open I may suggest the hard poly since it much lighter than he glass. 

Apologies.  I didn't zoom in and completely missed the two positions...1/4 and full opened.  

Thanks for the information.

I wanted to add that we ride 90% of the time with a fully opened window and close only when it flash rains or it's cold - which is rare in central Florida.  

We also go through tight trails that have small, low branches/bushes that we just push thru. My concern is we'd be pulling closed and fully opened all the time.

It looks like this option would not work for our situation.

I appreciate the time and effort you gave me in answering my questions and detailing - with pictures.

Thanks!

Happy riding and stay safe.

Yeah I’m new to side by sides so I’m not sure what I want. I have been told by others though it gets hot with a windshield in the summer. I’m not sure if the ones with the built-in vents at the bottom will be cool enough. That’s why I’ve been leaning towards the foldable. 

• Member ID:  8
  • Content Count:  26

I too have gone with the Can-Am glass flip up windshield just like Rudy has.  I purchased it as an option when I got the rig and also added the wiper and washer fluid.  I have only driven the rig in the fall and part of the winter so far and can't comment on how it works in the summer months when its hot.  However at this point, its well worth the money.  The wiper is amazing when you get crap flying up on the windshield and during hard rain/snow.  Don't have to exit the rig to clean it off...that's worth something to me.  I was told by the dealer that the hard-coat poly would eventually leave scratches when using the wiper so I went with the glass.  It does open a few inches and locks in that position as well as opens fully.  However I wouldn't try driving hard with it fully open.  It has two pistons, one on each side that hold it open but I wouldn't put that much stress on them.  I do drive it around with it locked into the short open position and it seems fine.  

DefenderLights4.thumb.jpg.64c454f59242b719de867d1763b0ad94.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  117
  • Content Count:  2

You might check Whomoto.com just picked their windshield for our new XMR have had now for 4 years on a ranger, live in south FL, hunt and ride north FL 

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  72
  • Content Count:  14

I've got the vented windshield from SuperATV and for the money it's a great windshield.