2021 HD8 Light bar install help

• Member ID:  848
  • Content Count:  3

New to the forum.  What brought me here is I'm trying to install a light bar in from up top, rear light bar up top along with two pods, and I need to find some insight on how to wire these up.  I know the bus bar is under the hood but have also seen there was a bus bar under the dash on previous years and don't see it on the 2021 model.  I'm wanting to hook these up to a key on hot lead so I won't have constant power to my switches.  Has anyone successfully done this who can give me some direction?  Thanks 

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

Bus Bar that’s ignition controlled is under the dash, right in the center.  
you need to run a pair of wires from there to the roof to power your lights. 
Run it up the front A pillar. Put in a fuse block...
I think there is a wiring kit in the parts catalogue. 
eBay seller has matching switches. 

12 hours ago, Bad Daddy said:

Bus Bar that’s ignition controlled is under the dash, right in the center.  
you need to run a pair of wires from there to the roof to power your lights. 
Run it up the front A pillar. Put in a fuse block...
I think there is a wiring kit in the parts catalogue. 
eBay seller has matching switches. 

Is it hidden under the dash, or need plastic removed to access?  I just can't locate it unless I'm missing something.  

yes its somewhat hidden.. I had to remove the switch panel / ignition.  It helps to remove if you use a putty knife.  The Corbin Switch website has a good set of instructions on how to remove it.  

17 minutes ago, Bad Daddy said:

yes its somewhat hidden.. I had to remove the switch panel / ignition.  It helps to remove if you use a putty knife.  The Corbin Switch website has a good set of instructions on how to remove it.  

Thank you.  I'll surely look into that.

• Member ID:  857
  • Content Count:  6

I just installed the roof power cable on my 2021 a few days ago.  The bus bar is much different than the one on older models.  It is in the center of the dash, directly behind the rocker switches and touch pad.  There’s two posts, the one on the right has red tape on it, denoting it as the positive post.  

• Member ID:  858
  • Content Count:  12

I also added a 50" light and 2 square lights at angles -- all on top, used the factory accessory cable and it worked great.  I added a small BusBar overhead tied to the BusBar under the dash.  Also added 2 lights facing backwards and a 20" lite bar on front guard.   I ran out of accessories switch (blinker, rear winch...and others) holes so I added 2 above for the front and rear lights.  Good luck.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  904
  • Content Count:  8

Looking for the buss terminal that is said to be under the dash so I can wire up my light bar.  I heard that there is a video on how to open the dash so I can get to the buss bar/terminal to hook up yo the keyed powered connection.

Does anyone have the URL of the video or a video you can send me showing how to open the dash without tearing it up?  Also, which terminal is the 12v keyed power terminal?  Is it color coded?

• 3 weeks later...

226408390_closeupoffastener.thumb.jpg.9caddc54701c58603631a4bff6d96679.jpg

Hooking up a light bar and trying to find the buss under the dash? Here is the hidden buss bar (I think) on my 2020 Defender DH8.  The  buss bar is now hidden inside the protective cover seen below.  I removed the three screws to get to it but it is still being held on to by another fastener which i believe is seen as the round "plastic" knot seen in the close up picture.  When I pull down on the cover, I found it will not come off as it is held on to by the plastic pin/knot.  I have NO idea how to get the knot or pin to release the cover without breaking it.  IF I get the cover off, I do not think I will return the pin, just keep it out as the cover is held by three screws and would be a devil to put back in - no space to move.

IF I can get the pin to release i think the rest will be easy as I believe in side the cover we will find the buss BUT. How to get the pin out?

ANYONE have an idea?

protective cover.jpg

• Member ID:  841
  • Content Count:  10

You are over thinking it there are 3 tabs holding the panel that has your switches and 12v outlet on it the clip to the passenger side is hard to see and reach i had to use a small pry bar to  unlatch it.. They need to be pulled down. Once you remove the panel you can easily see the positive and ground studs.. Positive is marked with red and will be on the right side of you are sitting in the seat.. 

Can Am McAllister, OK, where I bought my 2020 Defender, said to pry the switch panel off that is right in the center of the dash and also has the key ignition switch on it, and I would see the buss bar.  The buss bar doesn't look like the one under the hood.  You will see two lonesome looking screw post sticking out from the box that has the extra auxiliary wiring zip tied to it..  They do NOT look like what I would think an electrical connection would look like but it is the treaded silver color post with no nut on it, is the negative and the other silver treaded post is the KEY ON Positive post.  It has the red tape on it. Using the Key On positive post, you will not drain your battery.  In the picture of the "box" that has the posts sticking out can be seen in the earlier posted picture above.  The silver negative post is seen on the upper right side and the one with the red tape is sorta hidden in the picture, but also seen on the right.

The positive post under the hood is straight to be battery, no Key On circuit here.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,004
  • Content Count:  2

Bob - I am wiring up a switch panel and it comes with 3 wires. A red + wire, a red ACC wire, and a black ground wire. Where would the red ACC wire go under the dash?

Usually   12 v is hot all the time. 
12V acc is on only when the engine is running or key is in Acc position. 
Does the switch panel have a lit switch?

that’s usually what the second power wire is for.  

pic of said switch ?

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

DeFenderDan any chance you could post a few pics of where you added more rocker switch cutouts? 

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Lifer03 I think the red+ is going to keyed power red accessories to the lights or whatever your running with switch and well black ground is black ground. Like bad daddy said it is for the rocker switch light inside the switch. Any illuminated rocker is going to have 2 positive leads.