2021 Defender Limited front light bar wire harness installation

• Member ID:  817
  • Content Count:  13

I bought an after market light bar and wiring harness to install in my 2021 Defender limited. I checked with a dealer service tech and they gave me suggestion for access to inside the cab for installing the harness but turns out the access he described wasn't there. Since the 2021 was improved for air tightness of the Limited, it almost seems they would have allowed for access without having air gaps or having to punch holes in the cab. The pictures in the instructions were of no use as they really don't show enough especially for someone that's new and not familiar with the Defender. Thry also refer to shop manuals in some instances. However, I did notice 4 wire leads under the hood and a bundle of leads inside the cab under and near the center of dash that appear to not be connected to anything. Wondered if the Can Am folks had the forethought to have wiring available for later installation of accessories without having to jeopardize the integrity of the cab? If anyone knows how the access to inside the cab is accomplished or whether the wires I mentioned are for after purchase accessories installation, I would really appreciate the help.

I've attached photos of the wires I mentioned. Tge first is under hood and the second is left of center under the dash and below the shifter area.

16099609049306713538147600511983.jpg

16099609598481919614707971179693.jpg

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Sorry I can't help you with your question on what the wires are for but you may be able to find more info if you go on the cam am parts site and look at the wiring diagram for your specific model and year. I have the shop manual for the 2019 and earlier models so that isn't much help but you can probably order a paper maual or get access to the digital manual on the can am site for a price? There were one or more threads on here for accessing the digital manual on the can am site.🙂 

On my 2019 Cab there is a power buss on the inside of the cab under the black panel that has your windshield wiper switch, I mounted my front and back light bars and powered them from this buss. The head liner comes off as well so you can run wires back to the rear light if you so choose. There were two switch openings that I removed to mount my light switches. The original thread was posted in Nov 2019 in the Defender builds section and updated to show the switches in April.😉

I'm pretty sure I can figure out the wiring connections on the inside, but really could use some insight on access points for wiring from the outside of the cab to the inside of the cab. I'm also going to try and set up something for lighting the bed area when needed.

The Defender Cab is different than other defenders that is why I referred to my thread. It is likely the same as your Limited but I can't help you further if you choose not to read the thread that should explain clearly your questions.🙂

Sorry, it's not that I don't want to read it, just not sure how to find it. New to this forum stuff so not proficient. Hate to trouble you but if you could post the link or point me in the right direction I would be greatful.

No problem here is the link: 

Feel free to scroll around and check out some of the other threads that you may helpful. The defender builds section is under forums and there are 4 or more pages of all sorts of mods. Each thread has a title like the highlighted one above that allows for a quick search to find your item of interest.🙂

• Member ID:  837
  • Content Count:  3

Not sure what those wires are for, but yesterday I did a bunch of work on my 21 limited. Installed 2 rigid light bars on the back, 2 on the front and 2 cameras without drilling any holes at all in the cab. I found open places to run the wires though without having to make any new holes.

Well, that being said, where were your entry points? I'd appreciate a description and possibly pictures if you've got them. I'm planning the same installs as well.

Thanks!

After some more investigation I've found the four wires up front check continuity with the matching wire colors under the dash. Assuming they are not also connected to something else, they should be able to be used for accessories up front. Will also look for the matching wires somewhere in the back for possible back end accessory coonections.

Edited by Blaine

• Member ID:  759
  • Content Count:  107

I too have seen those wires, and wondered what they were for...

Unfortunately I saw them after removing the floorboards, and other parts to install a horn, light bar  and later heated seats...

I think what’s odd is no instruction sheet ever mentions them.  
and I think there’s a similar bundle in the floor.

If I knew about them, and how they’re to be used, I could have wired up so many projects in the time the instructions allot for each accessory. 
Glad I’m done with it now...trying to find flat black fasteners that I’ve dropped in a black interior, lol.