Heavy load, Improving Stability. Wheel Spacers?

Ben

• Member ID:  108
  • Content Count:  13

Hey All

I have a 2018 Defender HD8 DPS. Running stock with the 14" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tyres

I recently purchased a weed spray unit that sits in the rear tray. Weights about 500 kgs when full of liquid, which maxes out the capacity of the Defender. It's created a few challenges - keen for advice on best way to improve. 

1. The rear sag. Improved by adjusting rear suspension to highest (stiffest) setting. 

2. Understeer. The heavy weight on the rear has created less traction on the front wheels, creates some under steer. Not sure how to fix?? PS: I have the front suspension on the softest (stock) setting. 

3. Stability. The additional weight and increased centre of gravity feels like there is greater chance of a rollover on hilly terrain.

• Would wheel spacers help with lateral stability? Can I keep the stock wheels if I do install wheel spacers? 
  • Should I add a counter weight to the front to help with front/back stability? This may help with understeer issue too - but also concerned it will overload the vehicle?

Thanks legends

Edited by Ben

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

S3 springs will help with suspension sag and stability.

Edited by Steelslinger

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Stiffer rear springs as suggested will help reduce the rear sag, maximum air pressure in all tires should help reduce the roll or side to side movement of the vehicle. Wheel spacers 1" will only move your wheels out 2"  and increase the torque on your bearings because the load is suspended further from the bearing. 

It sounds like you are top heavy and maxed out on the rear springs so you can try some stiffer rear springs, reduce the load by carrying less water and use maximum tire pressure. If your sidewall on the tire rolls a lot with that weight,🤔 shop around for a tire with a stiffer sidewall?

The idea of the wheel spacers is to not so much about side-to-side suspension movement/roll and more about widening the stance to improve lateral stability on slopes. This is a common thing to do on tractors - widen the rear wheels. Would like to know more about doing this on a Defender. 

Has anyone here tried it? Is it as simple as buying wheel spacers online? Are there any other fit issues with the rims/tyres that I need to factor in?

I’ve ordered the Rough Country 1.5” wheel spacers. Will give it a go.

• Member ID:  833
  • Content Count:  2

Another option is to fill the tires with fluid such as what some call beet juice.  Adds weight low and stiffens the tires.  Commonly used on tractors with front end loaders.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tmarch said:

Another option is to fill the tires with fluid such as what some call beet juice.  Adds weight low and stiffens the tires.  Commonly used on tractors with front end loaders.

Have this on my tractor. Apparently it’s only good for low speed. Higher speeds can suffer with the slushing effect, impact braking etc

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Have this on my tractor. Apparently it’s only good for low speed. Higher speeds can suffer with the slushing effect, impact braking etc

EXACTLY..... Same reasoning (slow speeds) they can add spacers... Especially 1.5" spacers... are we talking per? So a gain of 3" to the width? Cornering stresses and large rock/big holes would be my worry... Never been a fan... Let us know how it goes.. Are you spacing the front at all?

I guess to explain just a bit why.....

When I want to break something free....

I extend my handle... longer rachet handle... longer box end.... longer spacers....... IMO 

Especially since most spacers are cheap cast aluminum.....  maybe by design... so you launch one..... they pop before an axle... 

I'd rather change my offset if that was my goal. Problem is... you can then pretty much use only a front as a spare and limp back to the trailer HOME.... if you get a flat...

So many considerations... ask a dozen guys.... get 15 answers..... lol... 😉

Joe

5 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

I'd rather  change my offset if that was my goal.

How do I change the offset on rear tyres without using spacers?

Not making any changes to the front - figure that will mess with steering 

New rims.... You are only changing overall width with spacers... the torque will then be transferred to the outside of them... Changing the wheels, the torque remains in the original placement. You are running the OEM Bighorns? 9"/11"x14".....? If so, part of your roll is the tire sidewalls on a round profile tire... If you go to a flat or slightly flatter profile tire you won't have the roll that you are getting now... 

One other thing... if you change offset rather than spacers... you can change the front around some without sacrificing the steering. The key TO REMEMBER is.... the inner offset is usually the one to work off of.... Meaning you USUALLY CANNOT make the inner offset any deeper unless increasing diameter... due too steering components... a great choice for 2020+ and 19's with 2" forward A-arms is a set of 32×10×14" tires on a set of 5+3 offset wheels... but a 31" tire on a stock '19  will work fine... Well, after a 2" lift kit.... which i happen to know a guy with an extra sittin' around... 

Favorite quote: "If you build them, THEY WILL BREAK!!!"

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Joe and Bear