2019 Defender XT Cab Hd10 replace front axles

Andystoy19

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The front axles for this machine are 705402170R and 171L and contain some parts common to the Defender lineup but are different (longer) than the base models so the new Can am performance axles will not fit. You can buy new CV joints to repair the broken cv's but the cost is the same or more than a complete half shaft? I have tried to get an answer from Can am to see if they will provide an upgraded axle for this machine but so far no answer? Both of my axles broke at the lower CV seconds apart in the same mud hole as I tried to gently assist the winch.

Jack up and block the front end of the machine, remove the 17mm bolt nuts, remove the front wheels. Remove the cutter key on each side and break the castellated nut with a breaker bar and socket. I used a 1 1/4" socket which is too big but works, I didn't have a metric one that large and didn't want to use a pipe wrench or crescent. These nuts are torqued to 184 lb/ft so it requires some effort. Place the transmission in park with 4x4 engaged to keep the hub from spinning. Remove the lower shock bolt and raise and tie the upper A arm as high as it will go. Break the (2) 15mm bolts that hold the front caliper on, remove the bolts and store the caliper on the top of the A arm. Remove the castellated nut and remove the cross bolt that holds the lower A arm in place at the hub, drop the lower A arm and pull outwards on the hub, there is just enough room to get the axle out of the hub, tug sharply on the axle to remove it from the front diff. Reverse the procedure for the installation but make sure you provide enough force to seat the axle in the differential all the way, no gap.

Hint: There is no need to remove the steering or upper A arm(at the hub) or lower A arm at the body as some videos show, this procedure works well and disassembles less parts.

Gorilla has a replacement axle but very expensive and no other after market premium axle is available. If someone finds one please provide the part numbers and cost. Hope this helps if you need to replace one of your axles.

Edited by Andystoy19
spelling

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I TOTALLY went through this!!! Everyone makes an axle for EVERY OTHER rig EXCEPT an HD10 CAB..... What the freak??? Hence the reason I bit the bullet and bought the Gorillas. Lifetime warranty vs. CV joint every 1500 miles or so.... dosen't take long to add up..... Heck.... I'd give you my left but I keep it incase something does happen to this GORILLA AXLE.... while in transit.... 

Good luck with your decision... I know how it is to BE DOWN....

• Member ID:  711
  • Content Count:  6

I have an hd10 xt max broke the stock axles, broke allballs broke the slashers lol...I highly recommend titan axles haven't broken them yet. https://s3powersports.com/titan-can-am-defender-axles/

3 hours ago, Possum7128 said:

I have an hd10 xt max broke the stock axles, broke allballs broke the slashers lol...I highly recommend titan axles haven't broken them yet. https://s3powersports.com/titan-can-am-defender-axles/

Unfortunately the cab units are different and unavailable. This model is like a "one off" axle setup.... crazy... but unfortunately true... They may in time build them... but again, being a one off is gonna make it hard to get them considering other axles have a MULTI FITMENT..... Another reason I went the direction I did..

Scroll to the bottom it says they make one to fit the defender cab

34 minutes ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Unfortunately the cab units are different and unavailable. This model is like a "one off" axle setup.... crazy... but unfortunately true... They may in time build them... but again, being a one off is gonna make it hard to get them considering other axles have a MULTI FITMENT..... Another reason I went the direction I did..

Scroll to the bottom of that link that I posted. They say they have one for the xab model 

56 minutes ago, Possum7128 said:

Scroll to the bottom of that link that I posted. They say they have one for the xab model 

I get it... but others with that same fitment are incorrect.  Hope I'm wrong... it has been known to happen... Not often... but it has happened.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info on the titan axles, I checked with S3 this morning and they do not carry a replacement for the 2019 Defender XT Cab HD10 at this time?🙂

I watched an Ostacruiser video on their 6x6 cab and they mentioned turner axles so I contacted turner axle in Houston and they will make their stage 2 axle for the Defender XT Cab for $590 US each with a 1 year warranty. This is a option to the gorilla axles if someone is interested?🤑

• 2 months later...

I inquired about S3 carrying replacement axles for the 2019 Defender XT Cab HD10 and received confirmation that they now carry the Titan axle with the following numbers: 

Those are the correct Axles - S3-24A22 LF, S3-24A32 RF and S3-24A12 rear axles. 

The price is $195/each $US if anyone is interested. So far I haven't ordered them?😉

I finally got word from Demon Powersports, rugged ATV parts, owned by PDI in Markham Ontario that they stock the rugged line of axles for the 2019 Defender XT Cab HD10. The numbers are as follows: PAXL 3059 RF, PAXL 3060 LF and PAXL 3067 rear axles (2) these are the Rugged ATV axles and are OEM replacement +. These may be the same as the Titan axles above??

I ordered the Heavy Duty line which are the same numbers as above just add HD or XHD (Extreme HD) to the end of the number. They didn't have the front axles in stock so I don't know how long it will take to get them.(made in China). Pricing online is about $209 Cdn for the rugged brand and $335 Cdn for the HD. with free shipping in Canada. Not cheap but I hope decent quality.

I will update the post when I receive the axles?🤑

• 3 months later...

• Member ID:  120
  • Content Count:  2

On 10/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Andystoy19 said:

The front axles for this machine are 705402170R and 171L and contain some parts common to the Defender lineup but are different (longer) than the base models so the new Can am performance axles will not fit. You can buy new CV joints to repair the broken cv's but the cost is the same or more than a complete half shaft? I have tried to get an answer from Can am to see if they will provide an upgraded axle for this machine but so far no answer? Both of my axles broke at the lower CV seconds apart in the same mud hole as I tried to gently assist the winch.

Jack up and block the front end of the machine, remove the 17mm bolt nuts, remove the front wheels. Remove the cutter key on each side and break the castellated nut with a breaker bar and socket. I used a 1 1/4" socket which is too big but works, I didn't have a metric one that large and didn't want to use a pipe wrench or crescent. These nuts are torqued to 184 lb/ft so it requires some effort. Place the transmission in park with 4x4 engaged to keep the hub from spinning. Remove the lower shock bolt and raise and tie the upper A arm as high as it will go. Break the (2) 15mm bolts that hold the front caliper on, remove the bolts and store the caliper on the top of the A arm. Remove the castellated nut and remove the cross bolt that holds the lower A arm in place at the hub, drop the lower A arm and pull outwards on the hub, there is just enough room to get the axle out of the hub, tug sharply on the axle to remove it from the front diff. Reverse the procedure for the installation but make sure you provide enough force to seat the axle in the differential all the way, no gap.

Hint: There is no need to remove the steering or upper A arm(at the hub) or lower A arm at the body as some videos show, this procedure works well and disassembles less parts.

Gorilla has a replacement axle but very expensive and no other after market premium axle is available. If someone finds one please provide the part numbers and cost. Hope this helps if you need to replace one of your axles.

A good straight forward write up  and it also works exactly the same on the 2018 Defender XMR. Although i dont have the same exact machine, for an axle upgrade you could check out "Demon Powersports" 2018 Defender XMR front axles part # PAXL-3066HD. I just ordered 2 from Century Powersports in Calgary for an excellent price.

• 1 year later...

I contacted S3 and they have confirmed that they now carry rhino 2 rear axles, both are the same: SKU :AX-7-67-R-0-DT-001#HJ for the rear axles. They do not make or carry the front axles.

Demon Powersports: I have had an order/back order in since Feb 2021 for a full set of axles (4) and they must have missed the boat, no updates and no axles.🤔

I ordered the rhino 2 rear axles through revco.ca today.

Demon powersports informed me that if you are looking for the rear axles for the 2019 Defender XT Hd10 cab you can order the ones for the XMR and they are the same.

They say they stock the front axles in the rugged line but are out of stock.🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I received the rhino 2 rear axles today and found that they were made in China, dissappointed. They might even come from the same plant as the Demon ones??

I will update the thread on how they fit etc. when I get around to installing them. 🤔