Mike Thompson

Mike Thompson

Question

• Member ID:  657
  • Content Count:  2

I've got a 2016 Defender XT HD8. It's now got 5600 miles on it and the battery just gave up at last. Put a good one on it and within days, the starter began acting up. I could tap anywhere near the starter and it would engage. After a week or so if this, this didn't help any longer. I've got 12 good volts at the starter when the switch is engaged. I don't think there's any doubt that it needs a starter. I've not got the repair manual d/l and am looking for the two clutch pullers so that I can get them and the covers off. I love my Can Am, but will never deal with Bombardier or the two closest dealers, ever again. While I'm a retired auto/truck mechanic, this has been a challenge. Any help on where to get the clutch tools. Thanks

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

I bought the can am clutch spreader to remove the belt (yours may have come with the machine) as well as the clutch holder and clutch puller bolt. You should be able to find those part online direct from can am in the defender accessory section or get them from Epi or Satv after market clutch suppliers.The primary clutch requires the puller bolt the secondary does not.☺️

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

Epi has a good video online that shows the tools and mentions the torque values if you need them, there is a thread on here that shows where you can get an online manual. Good luck. ☺️

• Member ID:  657
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks. I got the online manual, now loaded into a tablet. I'm pretty sure that this will cover it. I'll never deal with Can Am or Bombardier again so I'm looking towards the aftermarket. It's insane the way they've put the starter in there, but it is what it is. The secondary clutch tool came with the machine, so i guess all I'll need is the primary puller. Thanks for the help.