2019 Defender XT Cab Fiamm airhorn install

Andystoy19

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The kit contains: one high and one low tone air horn, compressor, tubing, relay, a bag of nuts and bolts for $40 cdn. The instructions are a basic schematic which are sufficient. The kit does not include the wiring, or switch. I decided to install the airhorn kit after I installed the front SATV pinlocker kit because I knew that I could bring the wiring from the cab to the hood area through the same grommet located above the top shock and behind on the firewall. This is the same place the shift cable comes through and brings the wires up behind the switch panel and terminal strip under the dash. If you have a heater model you can create a bit more space for working with your hands by removing the 3 torx screws on the lower heater panel, 2 on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. The panel now swings out of the way to the passenger footwell. Remove 3 x 13 mm nyloc bolts one up near the steering wheel and 2 near the floor of the heater. The heater will drop down and move forward an inch or so. Remove the front grill by removing the 2 push pins.

I drilled a hole near the top of the plastic radiator shroud for each of the air horns so they could be mounted in the down position. After finding a spot for the compressor under the front cross piece that the grill sits on I drilled a hole for hanging the compressor. Test fit the horns and compressor and cut the tubing to length and install on the components with zip ties. Disconnect the battery before working under the dash. Pop the switch panel out by inserting a small screw driver from the top and gently prying outwards, there are 3 catches on the top. I also took the 2 torx screws off the shifter guide on top for a better view when fishing the wires through the grommet.Fish the 14 guage wire from inside the cab to the area of the compressor, install the ends and install the horns and compressor. Zip tie the wire so that it doesn't chaffe against any sharp edges. Back to the inside where you have to connect the wires to the terminal strip where a lot of patience is required to undo the nut farthest away for a switched hot lead and the nut closest to you for the ground, install the wire ends and connect to the strip with the nuts. Prep the ends for the rest of the wiring that goes to the switch. (Carling rocker switch that matches the rest on the dash). Cut out the spot where the switch goes and press the switch into place, connect the wires replace the torx screws on the shifter and connect the battery, Press the button and it works. Push the heater back into place and connect with the 3 x 13mm nylocs, put the bottom heater panel back and screw into place with the 3 x torx screws. Reinstall the grill with the 2 push pins. The air horns and compressor are out of site and protected somewhat from the weather. Done and now you can make yourself heard!😉

20200821_154752.jpg

20200823_084028.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I picked up a carling rocker switch for the dash 10C584, its a spring loaded SPST for about $4.50 cdn but we couldn't find this style of switch that was LED illuminated. It is the same style as the Can am switches.🙂

• 2 years later...

• Member ID:  978
  • Content Count:  18

Great post. Can you upload a photo of the final location of the horns/compressor? How long are these horns? Fiamm has a number of models it seems. 

A picture is difficult without disassembling the grill etc, in the second picture you can see a horn on each side of the grill with the top right at the same height as the black plastic that is part of the bumper cover and the horns about 5" long are pointed down. The compressor is mounted behind the black plastic horizontally so that the compressor and the horns do not reduce air flow. 

If you are concerned about the compressor getting wet you can find a place higher up near the top of the rad and if necessary install longer tubing to the horns. Mine quit working so I have to check if its the fuse, wiring or the compressor got wet. I do get the front fairly deep when pulling the dock and trailers, so a wave may have got the compressor wet. (The compressor is not water proof).🤔

Alright I’m headed to the UK for business and am going to pick up one of the Fiamm EU air horns and try to install it. Will let you know got it goes. 

• 4 months later...

Picked up an EU variant of the Fiamm horn. The 2021 had pre-wired connections between the hood and the dash (see photo), which turned out to be a lifesaver. 

FD90FDDB-F2D1-49AB-8049-2646FD55525A.jpeg