2020 Defender HD 10 XT Questions

Mikep123456

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

This week I rode in a 2020 Limited and it is quiet and less heat. From what I was told you can’t get factory installed heat without AC.  I don’t like the price tag of the limited and not convinced I want the AC. I’d be fine with heat only. 

When comparing the XT to the XT Limited CAB model I noticed the Limited model has an automotive style “carpet” liner behind the seats to either reduce heat, noise or  both. The liner can be purchased as an accessory.

Questions: 

With that said are there other heat / noise reducing features that the Limited has that the XT doesn’t? 

Will I be able to buy the BRP heat only accessory? I’m pretty sure the accessory book states 2019 or prior. 

It appears the Limited has the 3 mode; eco, normal and work mode that can be selected from the soft touch menu. I don’t see that the XT has this available.  I do see a 3 mode rocker switch is available in the accessory manual. I’ve only read on this forum that the wiring is available in the instrument panel? 

Lastly - 

If I go the XT route I want to add the Flip Out windshield with the wiper, rear Sliding glass, also add the headliner to the stock sport roof and soft doors.  I have a few more upgrades but still $3K  less than the limited.  I’m concerned  I’m not going to get the same noise reduction and heat reduction (When AC is off)  as the limited model? Also concerned  all the “dis-assembly / re-assembly” rather than factory install. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Mikep123456

It appears from the XT spec sheet that the soft touch menu Does have the 3 mode selection. Wonder if the rocker switch is for ease of use or more convenient? 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

Have you considered the 2020 XT Cab, it has most of what you want and should have most of the sound deadening improvements? You should have the same power, check on the larger stator and reduced noise.

As far as the rocker switch which I have on the 2019, I played with it once and have since left it on normal, something I suspect most people do. AC is something that most of use don't need but the folks down south do so depends on where you are located? I haven't checked to see if you can get the XT cab only or is it now the XT Cab limited?🙂

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Well well..... As for the the sound deafening? I feel I've reduced my 2019 to a reasonable??? Db... I have added 2x 1/2" foam as well as a thin horse mat (which I also use as a floor mat) to the rear firewall. I've also added the foam to the underside of the roof top. One other thing I plan on doing is spray the front wheel wells with a truck bed liner and some foil in the passenger side well to combat the radiator exhaust fan heat which dosen't help the cab overheating issues... (below is a picture of a great product to deafen yer ride)

As for the "mode" switch.... like Andy said, while I have the rocker,  it stays in normal mode... I guess having the work mode option has worked well with younger drivers... not quite so jumpy on throttle... but nothing real important IMO...

Now having the the extra juice that the 2020 rotor/stator provides would be nice. But again, I've figured out how to cycle my load so as not to have an issue.. Biggest thing is, NOT using the OEM lighting vs. My leds on the trails... 

15951886006728477958315695644394.jpg

Thanks, 

So I have considered the CAB model but at $27000 it’s too steep for me to stomach... but I seem to be getting close to justifying it as I am after the less heat and less noise. They say the CAB is 60% quieter and I believe it to be true as I rode in one and you can talk at a normal voice. Very impressive for sure. I’ve read some negative posts on the AC as far as issues. 

To me there website isn’t very clear as to what is standard for sound proofing etc... I know the liner behind the seat is not common between the XT and Limited. 

It appears the DPS CAB is offered in a HD8. Didn’t see a HD10 XT CAB model. 

Edited by Mikep123456

AH2R - I bet your sound proofing Works awesome!  I’m heading back to the dealer tomorrow and need to decide which route I’m going to go. 

I really like the XT with the accessories listed above specifically the soft doors. But am concerned about no heat with the Michigan winters. Mostly the fogging of the windshield. Is that enough reason to opt for the limited? Not sure they offer heater kits for the 2020’s. 

Any thoughts? 

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

I would tend to lean towards just biting the bullet and getting  the Limited. If you go with a lower trim level and throw a bunch of money at it to jazz it up, you will end up with an inferior product  and you will be still wanting more. "Buy once cry once".

10 hours ago, plumber802 said:

I would tend to lean towards just biting the bullet and getting  the Limited. If you go with a lower trim level and throw a bunch of money at it to jazz it up, you will end up with an inferior product  and you will be still wanting more. "Buy once cry once".

Yup I couldn’t agree more. 

Thanks for the advice.