Do you ever contemplate a different utv?

Mikep123456

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

I’ve owned 2 Polaris Rangers and now an 2018 Defender HD10 XT CAB. I’ve added all Can Am accessories. The front lights, rear cargo light, power cargo actuator, rear cargo winch, stereo head with 4 speakers, rear cargo rack with the hard plastic trunk, tool holder and cargo rails Rear bumper, gear rail and sport flares. Also installed the quick connect Alpine snow plow with side extensions. IMO the build is awesome. I do really like the rig. However I often find myself thinking of a “better” machine. Initially I bought UTV to replace my truck at bird camp. They allowed Room for a dog box, water jugs, gun scabbards and the necessary gear. Heat and doors for the  rain and snow. Well now I don’t go to bird camp for 8+ days. Mostly day trips and hunt from my truck. I use it much differently now. Some work but more back road cruising usually with my wife, dog or both. With the windshield closed the cab heats up, the Engine noise is almost drone like. The stereo helps a lot but tough to carry on a conversation. The seats are comfortable but more upright. The full doors block air flow etc... 

I like Can Am quality and considered the Maverick Sport and even considered other manufacturers of Sport / Utility SXS’s. Are they more comfortable for longer cruises, Less heat build up in the cabs And are they any better for lower decibel for engine noise etc...? 

I love the power of the 1000 although I never use it but I know I have it. I’d end up with half doors and soft enclosure. I’ll want some type of cargo box may not have too dump but I need to carry tree stands, chain saws, food plot supplies, small amounts of fire wood and brush.

Am I crazy for wanting the next best thing?  Why is the Defender the best suited for my application or isn’t it? 

Need fall to get here 😂, then maybe I’ll have other things to occupy my mind. 

CBF16464-FA81-4D41-AA9A-FB340ED87B22.jpeg

AAF161AD-0FBA-40E2-B114-93B24E526580.jpeg

5B48495C-32B2-470C-B918-FBDBED95601A.jpeg

E7E9D851-29C2-4C6C-8B20-6137CBBEECC0.jpeg

Edited by Mikep123456
  • Like 1

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

OMG!!! BEAR WOULD KILL ME!!! I haven't been thinking of a different one, but.... I have been thinking of ANOTHER ONE!!! That Maverick X3 turbo is talking to me..... oh Joe...... you know you want to "SEND ME"..... All my buddies have sport rigs and play on the dunes.... Maybe it's time..... Anybody know of a good divorce attorney??? JUST KIDDING!!!

20200510_114444.jpg

Edited by A hunt 2 remember
Added picture
  • Like 2

• Member ID:  405
  • Content Count:  45

I will contemplate something else when they make a better rig than the Can Am. Your HD10 is a dream set up for someone like me that has to endure 6 solid months of winter (Vermont). Sometimes the grass isn't always greener...

• Like 1

Yup, that’s why I asked if I’m crazy🤔. Would swapping my seats with XMR seats offer more comfort on longer rides?

3EF27E72-FA9B-48A4-BE3D-7A9B313CBD97.jpeg

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

I’m not sure switching to an maverick will give you the same workability as your defender just from looking at the few pics you posted with the snow plow and working food plots looks like you have the right machine to me. Especially if you going to be in and out often when working. 
If strictly trail then the defender might not be the one but once work is added you just can’t beat it. I’m my opinion.
I don’t find the seats to be bad on long rides and I have a super bad sciatic issue.  I was also concerned about the kinda straight up position when I was shopping but that hasn’t  been an issue. I’d try sitting in the xmr seats to see if it will make much of a difference before you buy them. Seat position looks the same just a bit more padding on the sides to keep you in your seat. 

• Like 1

I agree with trying the seats before buying along and I do like the ease of in and out of the cab the Defender offers. I suppose I need to get over the noise and heat. 

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

Must be higher noise levels in those cab units cause with my hd10 xt the wife and I can talk no probs going down trails even on roads at say 80ish km it’s not that bad. I’ll be adding doors this fall so I’ll see if it increases noise. I have the plastic windshield and have been thinking about adding some air scoops with some abs or pvc. Adding a gate or damper to it to adjust the amount of air coming in. I’m thinking I’m getting the glass with wiper for this winter so I’m not to concerned about putting a few holes in the plastic one. 

HKB82: Well I know the noise level changes with my glass open. Not sure how much it will help if I remove the doors. I’d like to hear what other CAB owners experience. When I think I’m being overly sensitive I than realize it must be a problem as the new Defender and Polaris Ranger claim improved noise levels and less heat. If I remember correctly as much as 30% reduction. The noise bothers me more than the heat as it’s there all year long. Last week it was mid 90’s all week. Saturday and Sunday mid 80’s and low humidity. Didn’t make much of a difference. 

Do you have half doors now? What part of the country do you live? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well my contemplation turned to reality. I suppose timing is everything. With the pandemic it seems at least in Michigan Defenders and Rangers are in short supply. A friend listed my Defender on FB Market Place. Keep in mind I had this unit for 3 years. I sold it for in 3 days for 10% less than I had into it including the cost of the accessories. The buyer said it’s exactly what he wanted but couldn’t find one and didn’t want to wait till October. He only shopped at the dealers in the “country”. Went to multiple dealer in search of a new SXS. I was willing to wait till October.  I considered all makes and models. Drove the Honda, Yamaha Pioneer, Polaris Northstar, General and the Can Am Maverick Sport and Defender Max Limited and Limited 2 door. The Can Am Limited’s that I drove were already sold. It just so happened the dealer I called in the “city” had a “2 door” Limited Being delivered a week later. Well I just picked it it up last night. Yes I had to throw some cash at it due to the accessories but I’m ecstatic with my new machine. After it stalled in the Dealer parking lot I was skeptical....😳 it ran out of gas😳 they put a quart 😉 Of fuel in it for me to load it into my trailer. I suppose margins are tight.... I filled the tank and we headed out for 20 mile ride. Comfortable, quiet and the climate control was excellent. My wife and I could carry on a conversation with slightly more than normal voice mainly due to the stereo being on. I hope I don’t have the same negative experience as others have had with their AC. Bought the extended warranty and hope the AC is covered. Ironically the dealer didn’t know if it would be however it is an extension of the 6 month warranty. He put a “case” in to find out. My guess and hope is that it is... I can tell you I missed my old one for the ~3 weeks I was without. 

07852D1B-2F0A-4E36-B212-7EF11FBD4EEC.jpeg

821CCAD5-9729-4F8A-93A7-7EC4BDE51414.jpeg

7C400AFF-B3ED-4773-B3D9-5313003341A4.jpeg

• Like 2

Sweet rig!!! I was considering the Promount snow plow as well but at $1400... ouch!!

Thank you guys. Now that I’ve got some miles on it I can honestly say that I really like this rig. The sound proofing noise and heat reduction are imo excellent. The air is awesome but honestly with the heat reduction in the cab it hasn’t really been needed. I have been using mainly to put it to a test for reliability. 

if I recall correctly my promount plow was right around $1,050. 

Mike 

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, Mikep123456 said:

Thank you guys. Now that I’ve got some miles on it I can honestly say that I really like this rig. The sound proofing noise and heat reduction are imo excellent. The air is awesome but honestly with the heat reduction in the cab it hasn’t really been needed. I have been using mainly to put it to a test for reliability. 

if I recall correctly my promount plow was right around $1,050. 

Mike 

Yes, my local dealer quoted me $1400 for the Promount plow. The good news is that I found great deal on a used 72" Moose plow on CL. I need to fab a new mount for my HD8 though. I'll create a new thread with some pics when it's done. Congrats BTW!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

I just think about replacing it with a newer Defender 🙂   At the end of the day it's been a great machine and hard to get rid of it.  It still does everything I want it to.

• Like 1