Front Diff Stock Shim Thickness

• Member ID:  1,384
  • Content Count:  16

I installed a super atv pin locker and mixed my stock backlash shim in with all the others superatv supplies with the kit. I want to pull the diff to double check backlash and would like to try and figure out what one was in there originally. Has anyone measured the stock shim and could tell me how thick it was. I assume they use the same thickness at manufacuring but I could be wrong.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I installed my pinlocker in 2019 so I can't remember the shim thickness but when I checked my back lash I needed to change the shims from stock and the provided ones were in different thickness so that you could get the correct backlash through trial and error. You will need to measure your shims and sort them from thick to thin so that you use the correct ones to get your backlash.🤔

I have the locker installed and at the time of install I measured 7 thou backlash which I figured would be perfect since it in the middle of .004 and .01 which the manual calls out. The issue is when I flip the 4x4 switch you can hear the front diff. Hard to explain but you can tell it's in 4x4 vs 2x4 , not turning but straight line down the road. So my thought was to put factory shim in and see what backlash is, not sure if tou get more noise from a looser or tighter backlash.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I get your concern but as long as you set the backlash as you said you should be fine. Are the tire sizes original or did you change them if yes are the fronts the same diameter (height) as the rear.

I don't run in 4x4 except in the deep and on the soft trail I run in front and rear engaged but both in the open position that way I minimize the cornering effort and front to rear difference in tire size. My front tires are slightly taller than the rear even though they were ordered the same but are supposed to be different in width only. You can check out my build thread from 2019 if you need more info?🙂

I run 30x10 tires all the way around on some 14x7 itp wheels. I'm working on pulling the diff to double check everything and have a look inside.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

i hear when my stock machine is in 4x4, always have on every machine ive owned with 4x4.  doesnt seem like it would be an issue unless it is grinding, just the nature of having another differential engaged.

steve