GMRS

Outlaw

• Member ID:  193
  • Content Count:  31

Anyone dived into GMRS radio for communicating with other riders? Im interested in hearing your experience if you have and how you went about installing it. 2018 Defender HP

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I put the "Rugged Radios" 60 watt radio in mine and have had decent experiences with it.  We tested it in thick timber with smaller hills(maybe 50') and it worked out to a little over 2 miles, which was as far as we tested it.

I just have the sport roof installed without any of the roof interior panels so I installed it in the middle of the square steel tube that runs across the front of the roll cage, ran the wires up the pillar and mounted the magnetic mic mount to the roof.

If you do get a radio, make sure you DO NOT coil up the extra antenna cable.  If you have extra cable, which I did, they suggested running the cable back and forth on the roll cage with out coiling it, or you could cut it and put a new end on it.  Ground the antenna if you do not mount it to a steel roof.  I also put the antenna on the back of the roof where the roof is kind of at a 45 degree angle, aiming backwards so branches would bounce off it easier.

image.png.2c9b1b415512dc0bb0577f17e82e333b.png

Thanks RossO, Good information to know. 

You bet.  
ps the 60 watt radio might be a little over kill. If your just wanting to talk to people in a tight trail ride you could just get by with the hand help 5 watt radios. The only reason I installed such a big one is because the cabin where I deer hunt has radios In every machine and one in the cabin

good luck

Im thinking if I have a bigger radio in the Can Am I may have better communication with the hand helds used by some of my family members.

• 4 weeks later...

On 2/19/2020 at 3:48 PM, RossO said:

I put the "Rugged Radios" 60 watt radio in mine and have had decent experiences with it.  We tested it in thick timber with smaller hills(maybe 50') and it worked out to a little over 2 miles, which was as far as we tested it.

I just have the sport roof installed without any of the roof interior panels so I installed it in the middle of the square steel tube that runs across the front of the roll cage, ran the wires up the pillar and mounted the magnetic mic mount to the roof.

If you do get a radio, make sure you DO NOT coil up the extra antenna cable.  If you have extra cable, which I did, they suggested running the cable back and forth on the roll cage with out coiling it, or you could cut it and put a new end on it.  Ground the antenna if you do not mount it to a steel roof.  I also put the antenna on the back of the roof where the roof is kind of at a 45 degree angle, aiming backwards so branches would bounce off it easier.

image.png.2c9b1b415512dc0bb0577f17e82e333b.png

When

With regards to grounding the antenna. The antennas I have seen are all designed to be insulated from the base mount. In other words, the antenna does not get grounded to the frame, the base does. I am assuming in cases where an antenna is mounted to a non metallic surface, the base the holds the antenna is what needs to be grounded to the frame, not the antenna itself. Correct?

Correct.  You can buy a grounding harness from Rugged Radios, but I just used regular #12 THHN wire and two crimps and ran it to the bolt that threads into the roll cage for the factory nets.  Hope that answers your question

image.png.0c4106042e23ed7e1fa045eb175d7525.pngimage.png.42861ad861f1b354402cbdf1de68ae71.png

Thankyou!