Can Am Defender Max Limited on 32" Rock-A-Billys

Toolboy

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

I just changed out my stock rims and 27" 'big horns for a set of Sedona Split 6 bead lock rims and 32" Rock-A-Billy tires.  Each new tire and rim combo weighs in at 53 lbs.  The stock rear rims with the bighorns weighed 46 lbs. each.   So I figured I might lose some speed with the increased rotational mass.  However I was pleasantly surprised.  The machine still gps top speed on flat ground at 67 and will now run 70 down hill.  There is obvious speedometer error now but it also cruises better at 50 to 55 mph.  The new tires and rims fit fine even with the shocks on the softest setting.  No rubbing any direction lock to lock on the steering wheel.  The new tires are as quiet or quieter than the factory wheels.  I do notice a little more steering wheel wiggle at certain speed but I have not tried to balance each of the new tire/rim combos yet.  The machine looks as it should have from the factory.  Now it look properly proportioned.  I am sorry for not having pictures yet as it as dark when I finished tonight.  I took it for a 16 mile drive on the blacktop roads around my area and I can say I love these tires.  The power steering is not as strong (obviously) with the bigger tires, and there is slightly more road feedback in the steering wheel.  I am running 12-14 psi in the tires right now but will try up to 20 to see if it improves drivability even more.  This combo is going to be a hot ticket, looks and rides great.  

I wanted to let others out there questioning what would fit and what would not, to know that this setup works great.  I will post picks soon.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:40 AM, A hunt 2 remember said:

Where did you pick up your new skids???

I got the rims at SxS Stuff.  But be careful, the preassembled split 6 beadlocks and 30" Rock a Billiys were a great deal but when I asked them for a quote for preassembled split 6 beadlocks with 32" Rock a Billys they cranked the price up a couple hundred to almost $1500 for the set.  So I bought the rims from SxS stuff and the tires from Chaparral Motorsports who had the 32" tires the cheapest and actually got them to my house in only 2 days!  So for a couple of hours of work I assembled the tires to the rims myself and saved around $300.

• Member ID:  232

Would love to see those pics. Wanting to step up to a larger tire myself. 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

@Toolboy and these are on a stock height rig. ( no lift) because I've put a battle armor 2" lift on mine so I'd think they'd fit Bear perfectly. Problem is, I'm looking for a set of dots

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

How many hours do you have on the machine? I think the first service recommendation is 200 hours.

3 hours ago, Dragoon said:

How many hours do you have on the machine? I think the first service recommendation is 200 hours.

That's CRAZY!!! For a first service? Not sure what Bears hours are. But he went in for his first service yesterday with 1010.0 miles on him. Even that was too long for a FIRST SERVICE, IMO.... He's also getting the diffs drained and changed....  After that, he should be good to go for another couple thousand miles.... 

@Toolboy what size wheels? 10" 5x5's? I'm actually thinking about Super ATV's AT Warriors in a 32x10x14 on stock rear wheels all the way around. I've never popped a bead while wheelin' in any of my rigs even taking my pressure down to 5lbs. I'm going to swap my rears to the front, turn them to stop and wrap a piece of 3" foam around the back tire and see what type of clearance I have.... figuring this will simulate a 33" tire.... We'll see 

I am running 7 in wide 14" rims on the rockabillys.  All wheels are interchangeable  and rotatable.  How do you guys upload photos, is there a host site you use?    I have been adjusting the rear doors as they needed it and I can tell you it is no big deal to do it yourself.  Don't get ripped off by a dealer to do it.  Can am did it right and you just loosen the bolts and retighten when you get it where you want it, you don't have to take the inner door apart at all.    The tires fit great and I put a 2 in lift on the rear to give it the correct stance.  Now I have about 14 3/4" front clearance on side and 15 1/4" rear clearance on the side, both are slightly more if you measure on the front and rear of the machine.  I also can't seem to adjust m coil preloads as the wrench that came is the wrong diameter and just slips.  I would like to add one click to the shocks for just a little less body roll at high speed.  This machine looks totally different now and I would love to show you, just someone tell me how to get pictures on here.

9 hours ago, Toolboy said:

I am running 7 in wide 14" rims on the rockabillys.  All wheels are interchangeable  and rotatable.  How do you guys upload photos, is there a host site you use?    I have been adjusting the rear doors as they needed it and I can tell you it is no big deal to do it yourself.  Don't get ripped off by a dealer to do it.  Can am did it right and you just loosen the bolts and retighten when you get it where you want it, you don't have to take the inner door apart at all.    The tires fit great and I put a 2 in lift on the rear to give it the correct stance.  Now I have about 14 3/4" front clearance on side and 15 1/4" rear clearance on the side, both are slightly more if you measure on the front and rear of the machine.  I also can't seem to adjust m coil preloads as the wrench that came is the wrong diameter and just slips.  I would like to add one click to the shocks for just a little less body roll at high speed.  This machine looks totally different now and I would love to show you, just someone tell me how to get pictures on here.

As for adjusting preload, jack the rig up and let the wheels hang. Adjusting then is a breeze. As for adding pictures.... below text box is a paperclip and hotspot that allows you to choose file to upload. Hope that helps

Screenshot_20200302-064411_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 8:54 PM, A hunt 2 remember said:

@Toolboy what size wheels? 10" 5x5's? I'm actually thinking about Super ATV's AT Warriors in a 32x10x14 on stock rear wheels all the way around. I've never popped a bead while wheelin' in any of my rigs even taking my pressure down to 5lbs. I'm going to swap my rears to the front, turn them to stop and wrap a piece of 3" foam around the back tire and see what type of clearance I have.... figuring this will simulate a 33" tire.... We'll see 

Well, after swapping my rears to the front, the stock rears WILL NOT work as fronts. The inner offset is to great. If the suspension drops.... the wheel will rub on the A-arms... So that said, I'll be going with an 8" wheel with a 5+3 offset. I'm also going with a set of 5 so I have a full size spare. 

On 3/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, A hunt 2 remember said:

As for adjusting preload, jack the rig up and let the wheels hang. Adjusting then is a breeze. As for adding pictures.... below text box is a paperclip and hotspot that allows you to choose file to upload. Hope that helps

Screenshot_20200302-064411_Chrome.jpg

They would be if my shock wrench actually fit my shocks.  I have adjusted my renegade and outlanders shocks in the past.  I just can't believe they sent the wrong sided wrench in the tool pouch. Maybe the 2020 limited max has different shocks than other model and year defenders.

Because I thought they sent me the wrong wrench at first.... SLIPPED LIKE MARIO ON A BANANNA PEEL.... but with a little help, they actually worked. But I am a 2019

1 hour ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

@Toolboy you a 2020?

1 hour ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

@Toolboy you a 2020?

Yes mine is a 2020 Max limited.