HD8 Windshield

Coachgun

• Member ID:  214
  • Content Count:  297

Good evening,

I’d appreciate recommendations for a fold down windshield for my HD8. What have some of you installed and have you had any problems with it coming loose or rattling badly when off-road?  What brands to consider and which ones to avoid?

Thank you in advance!

CG

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

I have the Can Am Full Flip Up.  I love it.  It's the polycarbonate model which scratches if you don't clean it right but the ability to open fully really lets in a lot of air when it's hot and your traveling slow.  The radiator and front bulkhead put out a lot of heat that I need out of the cab.  I would be worried the fold down wouldn't let enough air flow.  I can ride full speed with it in up position but rarely do.  It rattles a little but not really noticeable.  It has never come loose.

Mark-thank you for you comment. I’m guessing you had the dealer install or were you able to do it yourself? Do you mind sharing what the cost was?

The windshield was $849 at the dealer.  I installed myself.  It was very easy to install.  If I remember correctly you loosen up the front half of the roof and the front part of the roll cage was already pre-drilled to match the bolts in the hinges.  So just install the bolts, tighten down after getting it straight and reattach the roof.  The lower part of the windshield has a few screws you install in the dash for the handle latch.  I think the hydraulic lifters just went right in predrilled holes.  You can probably do the whole thing in less than an hour.   I think the one that is made out of glass is about $500 more than the poly windshield and may be worth the extra if your going to be getting into a lot of mud that may scratch it.  I get mud on mine a lot and just rinse it off and don't have any scratches yet.  I'm sure the glass model is also heavier.

Thanks Mark. I will visit the dealer this week and see what kind of deal perhaps they could make!

• Member ID:  193
  • Content Count:  31

For sure install it yourself. Unlike the directions (at least for the solid glass flip), you dont have to completely remove the top. Just loosen the front of the roof and it will go in easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Went by dealer and cost is anywhere from $800 for polycarbonate to $1400 for flip-up glass. Haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet?

They recommended putting back glass or wind screen in to reduce airflow circulation inside. Has anyone else done this?

Thanks folks!

I have the back window also.  Holds heat in during the winter when I have the doors on.  I've heard it also helps with dust by forcing the air coming through the open windshield outward thus keeping the dust out instead of vacuuming it in.  I've never rode without it so I can't compare to see if that is true.  I get  dust in the back seat with it installed, but not much in the front seat so maybe it's working.  I'm pretty happy with it.