Help me Decide

ScGregC68

• Member ID:  2,285
  • Content Count:  3

I am currently in the market and coming from a 2012 Teryx4. I am looking at a Ranger XP 1000, a Defender hd10 xt or xmr or a mule pro fxr 1000. I have been from the mud to the mountains with my Teryx4 and she has never let me down so reliability is huge for me. Both of my sons have Canam atvs both are 1000’s one is an outlander and one is a renegade. The outlander was purchased new and has been one continuous issue, so despite the comfort and power I am not sold on the defender. Warranty is big too with Kawasaki at 3 years vs the 6 months on the Canam. Tell me your experiences and help reassure me that Canam is the way to go!! A lot of money to spend just want to make the best choice.

Edited by ScGregC68

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Your post seems to be a rhetorical question? Obviously you are happy with your Teryx4 and its your money so my experience isn't likely to change your mind?🤔

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

Welcome to the forum.  I had a Defender for almost 4 years and never once had an issue with it.  I'll probably pick up another one next year.   

Are you considering only new machines?  Is there a price point you are trying to stick with?  You can always purchase additional warranties if that is a concern.  Even though the Can-am ATV has had problems, how's the dealership been to work with? 

• Member ID:  2,285
  • Content Count:  3

Thanks for the message, looking at new specifically at the xt or xmr models. With regards to the outlander the dealership wasn’t much help,, but I hear a lot of that from all over the country. Can anyone tell me if the ride qualities between the xt and xmr are vastly different?? I understand tires sizes and such, but if both units ran the same tire size would the xt ride better than the xmr? Thanks again for everyone’s input!!

• Member ID:  1,449
  • Content Count:  16

I can't speak for the xt, but I have a 22 xmr and rides fairly smooth being a utility Mud machine. Even with the cryptids on paved roads it's pretty smooth, although I'm sure it'll be better when I finally get around to ordering my blackwaters to use when I'm not mudding. I thought the new defender xmr's have a different, less aggressive tire, but I could be wrong. I would check a parts list and compare the suspension between the 2 models for any differences as they will probably ride about the same with the tires.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

I've pretty much driven them all and have owned a 2018 Ranger EV, 2019 Defender Lone Star Max, 2021 Ranger Crew XP 1000 Northstar, and now I'm back to a 2023 Defender Max Lone Star Cab. The Defender has the most room, great fit and finish, rides well, huge dump bed, tows great, and is very quiet. 

• Like 3

• Member ID:  1,180
  • Content Count:  18

Xt vs xmr, with the same size tire, same tread pattern they'll ride basically identical,  the xmr is an inch wider, I've owned both, and currently have my 2nd limited.

• Member ID:  2,026
  • Content Count:  45

I have a defender 6x6 limited and before that I had a mule pro Dx EPS. I like both machines. The mule has long motor life but over time the CV unit need replacing often.

The can am has much better fit and finish to it and only have 400 hours on it but so far it wonderful

• Member ID:  2,268
  • Content Count:  12

On 11/13/2023 at 11:51 AM, Dragoon said:

I've pretty much driven them all and have owned a 2018 Ranger EV, 2019 Defender Lone Star Max, 2021 Ranger Crew XP 1000 Northstar, and now I'm back to a 2023 Defender Max Lone Star Cab. The Defender has the most room, great fit and finish, rides well, huge dump bed, tows great, and is very quiet. 

While I don't have much experience with machines other than the Defender, based on my experience with our '24 Lone Star Max Cab I would agree with Dragoon's comments above regarding the interior room, fit and finish and being quiet.  I am absolutely amazed at how supple the suspension is too.  Not sure it will be the best for a trail but we will see on that.

Regarding the length of the warranties, for $1,000 we went from six months (I believe) to five years on our machine.  I NEVER do extended warranties but I did this time.

• Member ID:  2,115
  • Content Count:  4

I can't compare as I have only had my 22 XMR defender since new and drive it all over south Florida.  I have been very happy with it and do a rediculous amount of work with it from pulling boats and trailers to hauling wood.  I have 6 kids and we all pile in it to go camping...  If I had to buy another can am product I would because I haven't seen the dealer since I bought it and that's as it should be.

IMG_4269.JPG

moving boat.JPG

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,115
  • Content Count:  4

Thats a 28' twin Diesel Chris Craft...   its heavier than my 27' proline that weights 7000# dry so i'm guessing the CC is nearly 10,000#.  I don't recommend doing this but in a pinch it was nice having a short wheel base vehicle that could move it in the yard.