HD10 Rear diff lock

Coolcraigster26

Question

• Member ID:  2,101
  • Content Count:  17

I have a new 2023 Defender HD10. Today when I was trying to go through a steep ditch at an angle one of the rear tires came off the ground a little when the suspension was flexing and it started spinning and would not move. I flipped the switch to lock the rear diff and still only the tire off the ground would spin. So I backed up, then tried locking it again, tried to drive back through the ditch the same way and still only the tire with no load on it would spin. So I’m not sure my rear diff lock is working. Any advice?

3 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If one tire spins than it is likely your rear locker is not engaging. I have included the page from the manual if you want to check it yourself if not confirm that it is not working at home and than take it to the dealer for warranty.🙂20230725_075354.thumb.jpg.4c1719405debd1ec5dc07f721a4190f4.jpg

1 hour ago, Andystoy19 said:

If one tire spins than it is likely your rear locker is not engaging. I have included the page from the manual if you want to check it yourself if not confirm that it is not working at home and than take it to the dealer for warranty.🙂20230725_075354.thumb.jpg.4c1719405debd1ec5dc07f721a4190f4.jpg

Awesome. Appreciate you posting that. I will check it out here in a bit and see what I find. When I flip the rocker switch up it does show on the dash panel that the rear axle is locked but didn’t seem to actually be locked. I will post my findings here shortly. Thanks again. 

So I set it in neutral, turned the key to ON position without starting engine, flipped switch to lock rear axle and only one wheel turns turns. I’m guessing I have a bad actuator. Hopefully dealer takes care of it under warranty. I bought it new a couple months ago. Thanks again for posting that.