Wanting a lift

cleve

• Member ID:  2,081
  • Content Count:  3

I usually try to stay stock as possible. It's worked well so far on my defender HD  max at 10,000 miles. But the wheel base is so long and I've fond myself bottomed out a few times.

I would like to stay with a small lift and maybe 32 inch tires. My daughter cruises along on dirt roads around 50 mph also.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for simple and durable.  I've never had a problem with her and just don't want to regret anything.

Thanks,

Cleve

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I think the absolute easiest lift kit is a bracket lift that will bolt on to where the bottom of each shock mounts to.  I did the spacers on my shocks and its kind of a pain if you don't have the right tools since you have to disassemble the shock to get the spacer in.

• Member ID:  2,081
  • Content Count:  3

I was gonna ask what size tires you put on with your lift But I noticed you have tracks. My big concern is wear on my machine. I don't do anything crazy with it but at the same time I put a lot of miles on it.

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I usually run 30" tires when the tracks are not on, whether it be the stock Xmr tires or a set of street tires.  I would say it will put more stress on your CV joints, but nothing they can't handle.

Another route you could take, if you have the budget, is buying all new shocks.  That will give you a little lift and greatly improve the ride, but you'll be out about $2,500US...

• Member ID:  2,095
  • Content Count:  5

Most forums say 30" tires are ok with no lift... they will give you about 3" on the back from the 27" factory... even though the fronts are 27" they are rounded and don't really reach 27".  When I put 28" Carnivores on my machine I measured a little over an inch clearance up in the back and about 2.5" in the front... I added the Zbroz 2" Bracket lift kit and got another 2" for a total of around 4.5" overall.  If you square your tires up (factory fronts are 27x9x14 and the backs are 27x11x14), wheel spacers on the back (I used 1-1/2") to make the back track even with the front are a good recommendation.  Mine is street legal and squared up with the new tires and lift I feel it rides better on the street and I liked the way it performed in the sand.