Grinding noise in front end

Labguy

Question

• Member ID:  1,669
  • Content Count:  5

At any speed I have a grinding noise in the front end , 4wd works and does it while locked in, could it be gear lash or visco lock or does the coco lock just break. Not shure what it is I grab the axle and there tite.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Hard to say over the internet, did you check the fluid in the front diff? There seem to be a number of units that require a gear lash adjustment with the use of shims. The visco lok is a very simple enclosed part that contains a viscous fluid so if the fluid leaked out it would no longer work and would need to be replaced. It requires a full turn of the axle to activate more power to the non slipping wheel but is never fully locked in like a pin locker.🙂

I just changed the oil and dint see anything like the viscus fluid. Where can you get gear lash shims? I’m thinking about a torque Locke before winter. Everything seems to work ok. This is my first sxs so a bit new. It only makes noise turning left or right with the wheel turned all the way. Thank you any info is great !

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

There isn't much viscous fluid maybe an ounce so it would get mixed in with the other fluid. The shims can be bought from the dealer and may come with the new kit.

Check out the defender builds section for more info on front lockers I went with the SATV pinlocker.

Cool thank you very much for the info

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

when i crank the wheel all the way to the right as im moving the right front end makes like a small grinding noise but that's the only time it does it? basically when im pulling into my driveway or a parking lot. not sure what that is?

• Like 1

• Member ID:  504
  • Content Count:  3

I have this same issue with my 2020 HD8 Max DPS.

I took it to the dealer and they told me nothing is wrong...LOL

Has anyone come up with a fix for this? I heard there was a TSB but those are hard to find.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  504

On 7/23/2022 at 9:13 AM, Hammes357 said:

when i crank the wheel all the way to the right as im moving the right front end makes like a small grinding noise but that's the only time it does it? basically when im pulling into my driveway or a parking lot. not sure what that is?

I have the same issue.

• Member ID:  593
  • Content Count:  32

I have same problem when turning right or left. Like a rubbing binding sound. I went to my dealer after work. He said yes a service bulletin came out last month to fix this common problem.  He printed the bulletin out for me. Has a spacer,a cotter pin, a clutch kit, a belleville washer,and new fluid. He is ordering the parts tomorrow for it. Guess I will take mine in next week to try it on mine.says on the bulletin expires Jan 31 2023 if anyone here needs to get this fix.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 5:47 PM, ymurf said:

I have same problem when turning right or left. Like a rubbing binding sound. I went to my dealer after work. He said yes a service bulletin came out last month to fix this common problem.  He printed the bulletin out for me. Has a spacer,a cotter pin, a clutch kit, a belleville washer,and new fluid. He is ordering the parts tomorrow for it. Guess I will take mine in next week to try it on mine.says on the bulletin expires Jan 31 2023 if anyone here needs to get this fix.

is this a recall? first i have heard of this or i guess you would have thought the dealer would have emailed or called? and i'm guessing your eating the bill?

Edited by Hammes357

• Member ID:  1,713

Ymurph, please post a copy of the bulletin your dealer printed for you.   I'm sure it will help lots of folks on this forum.  I know it will help us with our 2022 HD9 since none of the dealers we've spoken to claim to know anything about this problem, or the bulletin.                   Thanks!

Not exactly a recall. It is a service bulletin. They told me not all the side by sides have this issue so they didnt do a recall. It is offered but only if you ask about it.

recall.jpeg

recallb.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Got my defender back yesterday.Seems to be good now.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:16 PM, ymurf said:

Got my defender back yesterday.Seems to be good now.

Did your dealer fix it for free or did you cover the cost? My dealer says he can’t answer that question yet until the can am website is back up and running.

• Member ID:  1,713

On 9/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, ymurf said:

Not exactly a recall. It is a service bulletin. They told me not all the side by sides have this issue so they didnt do a recall. It is offered but only if you ask about it.

recall.jpeg

recallb.jpeg

Thank you so much!   My dealer told me it's covered under warranty on our 6 month old Defender.  Getting that service bulletin you posted is DYNAMITE!    

On 9/11/2022 at 8:01 PM, Hammes357 said:

Did your dealer fix it for free or did you cover the cost? My dealer says he can’t answer that question yet until the can am website is back up and running.

Didnt cost me a dime.