Grinding sound from front diff while turning?

D mason 0045

Question

• Member ID:  1,154
  • Content Count:  15

Hello, I have a 21 max with under 500 miles. I was wondering if any of y’all have the annoying grinding sound as well? Mine only does this while turning at full lock left and right. Will this get better as the machine get used more? Could the front diff gears be bad? 

Dealer said it was normal??? 

8 answers to this question

I asked the dealer about this. They told me that there is a shim pack from brp. It is covered under the factory warranty. These shims go inside the front diff. It really hasn’t got any worse yet, so I’m not sure what to do? Will this be only a band aid? Maybe I will see if it gets louder. I’ll let y’all know

On 1/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, AdamPierce said:

Can’t answer this question, but can relate to the issue. We had an issue 1 month after purchasing a hd8, dealer replaced front diff. This was at 30 hours on the machine. Cuirntly sitting at 60 hours and the grinding started again. Do you have an update or any resolution? 

So I had my dealer install a shim kit into the front diff. I now have almost 1200 miles on my machine. So far so good. No weird noises or grinding. The dealer told me that brp has known about the issue 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,363
  • Content Count:  25

I was having grinding sounds coming out of the front diff and someone recommended changing the front diff oil and inspecting it. I found that my oil level was low and it was a bit dense with metal. After it was full the sound was gone. It is a easy enough thing to do.

Since you're getting this while steering hard, that is when the diff "slips" so the outside tire can spin more than the inside. At least that is my understanding...

• Member ID:  1,384
  • Content Count:  16

I have a 21 lonestar with about 1300 miles and makes the same noise while turing sharp. If I jack the front end up I cannot turn each front wheel independently. It's like my visco is locked all the time. 

• Member ID:  1,018
  • Content Count:  25

Experienced same issue.  Showed dealer, they replaced front diff. No more noise.  (But front diff also had issue with visco lok not engaging and making noise.

• Member ID:  1,310
  • Content Count:  6

Can’t answer this question, but can relate to the issue. We had an issue 1 month after purchasing a hd8, dealer replaced front diff. This was at 30 hours on the machine. Cuirntly sitting at 60 hours and the grinding started again. Do you have an update or any resolution? 

• Member ID:  593
  • Content Count:  32

I have same problem of rubbing grinding sound when turning sharp.I went to my dealer after work. He said yes a service bulletin came out last month. He printed the bulletin out for me. Has a spacer,a cotter pin, a clutch kit, a belleville washer,and new fluid. Guess I will take mine in next week to try it on mine.says on the bulletin expires Jan 31 2023 if anyone here needs to get this fix.

• Member ID:  1,713
  • Content Count:  3

On 8/2/2022 at 6:57 PM, ymurf said:

I have same problem of rubbing grinding sound when turning sharp.I went to my dealer after work. He said yes a service bulletin came out last month. He printed the bulletin out for me. Has a spacer,a cotter pin, a clutch kit, a belleville washer,and new fluid. Guess I will take mine in next week to try it on mine.says on the bulletin expires Jan 31 2023 if anyone here needs to get this fix.

We have this problem with our 2022 Defender HD9.   The dealers we've called to schedule repairs claim they have NO info on a bulletin re: this grinding.     Could you please post a copy of that bulletin your dealer printed for you on this forum?   I know it would help us to get our issue fixed this year since we don't want to do additional damage!    Thanks.