Can Am Defender vs CF moto

• Member ID:  69
  • Content Count:  2

Hi folks...I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these machines...the CF moto comes with full cab enclosure - flip up windshield with wiper, hard poly doors, roof, rear glass - in dash heater, winch, plow, roof mounted led lights (front and back), side mirrors, rear mirror and the 5 year warranty...the Can Am is similar but has power windows and NO led lights (much cheaper to install after market ones)...since the machine will be used mostly for plowing ( a few joy rides per year) and not heavy driving, just wondering how the power windows would hold up to the elements (we get a lot of rain and snow where I am - its April 13 and we'll be snowmobiling for a while longer)...the Can Am is $8000 more...I'd like to hear from someone who as owned a defender (cab) for a while 5-6 years just to see how they hold up...especially the power options (heater, windows)...any info greatly appreciated...opps forgot to mention Can Am Defender HD8 XT cab and a Uforce CFmoto 800...

Edited by dwaynejp
forgot type of machine

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

This is the first time I've heard of this company and I've been around the SXS pretty heavy for the last 10 years. They must be pretty new to the scene. 

https://cfmotousa.com/

• Member ID:  20
  • Content Count:  100

I test drove drove a Chinese made utv .  It was an Odies.  Sounds similar to the Cfmoto.  They add all the accessories and the price is way cheaper and a long warranty.  I was not impressed with the test drive or the horror stories I found online.  I will say my kids have a KANDI go kart and it has been pretty reliable, but it just runs around the yard and not in any serious terrain.  I spent the extra for a Can Am and don't regret it at all.

• Member ID:  105
  • Content Count:  20

I was told by the Dealer that the CF moto is made in the same factory as the KTM motorcycles. Found that interesting as I always though the KTM was a great bike. 

I compared the CF to the defender at a Dealer that had both and believe their market share will likely grow but I was not willing to take the chance. I knew the quality from Can Am and Polaris but wasn’t willing to save a few grand only to be disappointed later. 

• 4 months later...

• Member ID:  218
  • Content Count:  4

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, Mark said:

I test drove drove a Chinese made utv .  It was an Odies.  Sounds similar to the Cfmoto.  They add all the accessories and the price is way cheaper and a long warranty.  I was not impressed with the test drive or the horror stories I found online.  I will say my kids have a KANDI go kart and it has been pretty reliable, but it just runs around the yard and not in any serious terrain.  I spent the extra for a Can Am and don't regret it at all.

The Odes machine and several others (including the Cub Cadets) are made by Hisun-Massimo.  CF Moto is a different company.  They are farily popular in other parts of the world, particularly in Europe.  They generally offer a little more for the money (although the tariffs are changing that), but I just couldn't see making payments on something that doesn't have a clear track record.  The other thing I didn't like is that the shifter was very notchy and the CVT Tech transmission they use is a clutched model with fairly abrupt engagement.  Other than that the U1000 I test drove seemed to be reasonably well screwed together and the dealer tells me that CF Moto is better than Hisun was for parts availability.    If it had been substantially less than other machines I might have given one a try, but the reality is that they are not that much less than the better known players.   I paid about $1000 less for a base HD8 than the CF Moto U800 would have cost.    It doesn' have the aluminum wheels or winch that the U800 has, but what it does have is great build quality, excellent engineering and a better warranty.  There are no doubts in the back of my mind when I leave the driveway about whether it will make it back.    On top of that it is built here in North America and being a manufacturing guy I much prefer to spend my money on things from this side of the big water.

• Like 1