Overheating

Savage

• Member ID:  1,339
  • Content Count:  2

Purchased a 2022 defender xmr. Got it home, backed it off the trailer. Drove it around the driveway for less than 10 min and got a high coolant temp warning. I immediately turned it off and started looking for the problem. I didn't recall hearing fan cycle so started looking there. Discovered that there was a blown 10A fuse in fuse panel under passenger seat. Upon further inspection I discovered that the 10A key switch fuse was in the cooling fan position, and the 25A cooling fan fuse was in the key switch position. I replaced the blown 10A fuse and put them in their proper place. Cooling fan now cycles as it should. Comes on at about 205° and off at about 198°. It runs fine now, but I'm very concerned about possible engine damage. It had 0.2 hrs on it at the time of this happening. I will be contacting dealership Tues morning when they open. Just looking for some advice. Does the dealership install the fuses during assembly or are they already installed when they get the machine? How should I handle this with the dealership? How concerned should I be about engine damage?

• Member ID:  1,018
  • Content Count:  25

I wouldn’t worry about engine damage.  But sadly, if the fuses were wrong, what else could be put in wrong?  See what the dealer will do to ‘go over’ your machine.  After that, learn to go thru it and verify fuses, fluids etc….

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The defender is equipped with an over temp protection where the ECU (114C/237F) starts to cut back fuel and will eventually put you into limp mode to protect the engine. The overtemp may have set an overheat code so have the dealer check for any codes when/if you take it back for service. If the overtemp light went out and has not appeared since than you may have only set a temporary code which goes away after a number of key cycles.

Check your owners manual to see if they show the fuse box under the seat and the one under the hood with the fuses in the correct locations if you want to check the rest of them?

Enjoy the new machine.🙂

• Member ID:  1,339
  • Content Count:  2

Thanks for the replies. I've gone over the machine. All fluids good. I've found nothing else wrong. Someone made a mistake when assembling that I feel could have been easily cought by the dealership if they tested the machine properly. 

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Dealership doesn't install anything really. Most non-cab models, its tires and cage and fuel I believe, not 100% on that. Fuses and such would have been factory installed. I'm sure the dealerships start them up and move them to their showroom floor (or pickup dock) and that's it.

As stated above, doubt any damage was done and if you've gone through the machine as far as other fuses and fluids, should be good.