Buying new defender max

Shelfish

• Member ID:  1,328
  • Content Count:  23

Looking at buying a new defender max in the very near future. I have already received one quote back and can’t believe the cost of accessories. My question is does anyone have knowledge of after market accessories such as hard half doors, winch and windshields? How much trouble is it to install these items and what is a good place to order them from? It looks like after market is about half the price which would be very helpful to my thin wallet.

Thanks

Shelfish

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,358
  • Content Count:  11

Just purchased a 2022 Defender Max HD10 last Saturday.  Ordered a windshield from SuperATV (same place the dealer would order from) and saved about $200.  Total install time was about 1/2 hour (only because I initially put the rubber weather stripping on the wrong side).  Ordered and installed a rearview mirror at the same time.  Again, saved about $75 off dealer price for same one.

Thanks roaddawg

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

It depends on what it is that you want out of the machine.

If you want a full cab with heat (A/C you have to buy a limited), buying a cabbed model is the best and cheapest way to go. If you want a windshield with a wiper, the OEM glass and wiper kit is the best one to go with although spendy. An XT model comes with a winch and a roof. Sometimes, its easier and cheaper to buy it with as much of what you want on it.

There are some OEM accessories that are a bit cheaper than their aftermarket counter parts, or aren't available aftermarket. I was able to get the OEM tubular rock sliders for $275-ish for a Max model, most aftermarket ones were $400 or more.

Most other things, aftermarket is cheaper and better, I went with an Infinity radio and speaker set up for $500 or vs. the $900 factory Jensen kit. Comparable head unit in features (AM/FM, Bluetooth, usb, aux in, 4x50w) but better audio quality, and bigger speakers (6.5"  +LEDs) and used rear speaker supports from Jamie Connelly/C-Werks.

Best thing to do, is make a list of the things you want, and price them out both ways from multiple sources.

Thank you Steelslinger, I am thinking that a radio would be a great addition.

• Member ID:  1,371
  • Content Count:  1

Glad you asked this question as I'm in the same boat. Looking at buying a Defender Max XT but feeling the sticker shock especially factoring in accessories.

Anyone know how much give there is at the dealer for accessories? I feel like the thing to do is go in with all my aftermarket gear sourced and priced out. And if they can make the OEM cost-competitive then to think about it. But maybe that's not how it works.

That is worth a try. I just added half doors and figured that the dealer could install them saving  me the headache. I will wait until I get it, to figure out what I really want then do some price comparisons. I pretty much know I will be wanting a radio so when it comes in I will be asking for suggestions. I am on a pretty tight budget but what the hell Yolo.

Shelfish 

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

If your thinking doors and hard windshield with wipers then cab unit is definitely the way to go. Its insulated and sealed and better noise reduction my 2 cents.
My 19 HD10 isn’t factory cab but my next one will be. if your somewhat handy then most the aftermarket stuff is more time the anything. I like to fab and tinker so to me saving a few bucks is always wicked. 

Also to consider if your financing some times it’s nice to add those things into a payment instead of being out of pocket the cash. Especially at a zero% kinda thing. Talking more full doors and tire/rim upgrades expensive option kind of stuff. 
plenty of good aftermarket options for the small stuff like audio. Or go this route 09D80D3C-29A5-4DA4-8740-4985EF240DC7.thumb.jpeg.175266965fb82fdf205d37f3c53a823a.jpegcost was about 500 Canadian total plus 8-10 hours work kinda thing. 4 kicker marine speakers plus head unit were the real cost. Pods were cheap to build. No way I was spending 1000 bucks for the cam am set up plus I didn’t have the liner. Some real nice set ups aftermarket but they don’t come cheap. 

• Member ID:  1,363
  • Content Count:  25

Hey Shelfish. It's pretty exciting getting a new ride! I just got a lightly-used 2020 Pro XT last week and have started fitting it out.

I bought these polycarb windscreens on Amazon (the front is thick and hardened both sides):

$199 - Rough Country Full Front Windshield for 2016-2022 Can-Am Defender

$159 - Heavy Duty Defender Rear Windshield, Kemimoto Wind Screen Full Light Tint

The rear was an easy installation, but it was rattling against the driver's headrest until I put a little bumper there (a mini-wad of duct tape). The front windshield was harder to install because you need to pound a gasket all the way around. The front had a minor distortion area (1" x 6" blur) but it wasn't bad enough to return it. It's probably so cheap because they have minor faults like this -- one of the reviews mentioned he also had a stress mark.

I have a nice plow setup and live in NH, so will probably want doors eventually. Doors are expensive, so I am looking at going cheap with my music to compensate. I cannot vouch for this yet, but will try this mini bluetooth/amp and some cheapo speakers:

$12 - WHDTS Bluetooth Audio Stereo Power Amplifier Board Module BLE5.0 Dual Stereo Output 50W+50W 5V~24V Bluetooth Receiver Module with Case DIY

I'm also going to install a sonar reverse beeper because they are cheap ($20) and I think it will help me avoid hitting trees (I do not have this item yet, either).

$15 - Frostory Car Reverse Backup Parking Sensor Radar System, Buzzer beeps, Detection Distance:30~150CM, Waterproof Sensors (22mm Diameter 2.3M Cable) 4 Packs X60D (Black)

I'd like reverse lights, too, but still need to make a plan.

Hkb82,

Thanks for the information. I like the looks of your stereo and the lighted speakers. A stereo is a must have. I did order the glass windshield but not the wipers. I live in South Carolina, so I don’t think that an enclosed cab is necessary. But I like CampHamps idea of backup lights and sensors. Thanks for your replies.

🤔 Shelfish

can’t wait to get it, come on March/April

• Member ID:  1,224
  • Content Count:  1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:34 AM, Shelfish said:

Looking at buying a new defender max in the very near future. I have already received one quote back and can’t believe the cost of accessories. My question is does anyone have knowledge of after market accessories such as hard half doors, winch and windshields? How much trouble is it to install these items and what is a good place to order them from? It looks like after market is about half the price which would be very helpful to my thin wallet.

Thanks

Shelfish

I ordered one in September 2021 and I was told I will not get it till spring of 2022,  When can you get one ???

Russ P New Jersey

1 hour ago, RUSSELL P said:

I ordered one in September 2021 and I was told I will not get it till spring of 2022,  When can you get one ???

Russ P New Jersey

I ordered mid November, March/April is the expected delivery date….. so you should get your’s before me. So jealous.

• 1 month later...

called and checked yesterday and they said it was still coming in March?

Anybody else have any info on the state of the delays? When they told me it was still coming in March, they also said that I was 6th on the list what ever that means?

Do the Defenders come from? If it is Canada, I guess that the truckers protesting will delay even more??