Defender secondary clutch issue

Miles24

• Member ID:  538
  • Content Count:  3

I thought i was losing a belt due to over working my machine in high range instead of using low range. Sounded terrible, squealing and the belt slapping around on the inside cover. To my surprise the original belt looked fine just loose. Bought a new belt and installed it. I noticed i could not get the secondary to close enough to get the slack out of the new belt. It actually didn't seem to move at all really. I figured maybe if i drove it this would change. I am able to drive it, but it's not right, still noisy and feels wrong. I am assuming the secondary is not closing at all causing too much slack in the belt. I am stumped at this point on what to do. Its a 2019 hd 10 dps model. Thanks ahead of time

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The secondary has 2 rollers that the cam rides on that allows the secondary to open and close as the primary and engine rpm and load change. You can remove the secondary by unscrewing the bolt that holds it in (pull the clutch towards you) and than you should be able to see the two rollers on the back side. You might be able to see the rollers by using a mirror and light without removing the clutch? 

If you haven't worked on the secondary before I would suggest a trip to the dealer to replace the rollers if they are flattened or broken, replace both.The screw holding the roller is held in place by a roll pin that may not be real easy to remove.🤔

Edited by Andystoy19
wording

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,337
  • Content Count:  1

I have a similar issue but can't get the bolt off the secondary as the it just spins.  This happens in all gears so not sure how to get that bolt out now.  i can hear loose metal in the secondary so would spring and/or helix be broken?  any help is appreciated.

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

The bolt spins? or the Secondary? Quick burp with an impact wrench should get it loose, otherwise need to find a way to hold the secondary while breaking the bolt loose (leaving in gear won't do it, need to physically hold the secondary itself).

Common culprit would be a secondary roller.

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  1,776
  • Content Count:  1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, Andystoy19 said:

The secondary has 2 rollers that the cam rides on that allows the secondary to open and close as the primary and engine rpm and load change. You can remove the secondary by unscrewing the bolt that holds it in (pull the clutch towards you) and than you should be able to see the two rollers on the back side. You might be able to see the rollers by using a mirror and light without removing the clutch? 

If you haven't worked on the secondary before I would suggest a trip to the dealer to replace the rollers if they are flattened or broken, replace both.The screw holding the roller is held in place by a roll pin that may not be real easy to remove.🤔

Would anyone have any tips on removing the roll pin that might help me a little. Thanks!

• 11 months later...

• Member ID:  1,030
  • Content Count:  47

Since we’re on clutch issues here my 2020 is just starting to act like it’s wants to shift into a lower gear when I’m slowing down to make a stop and it's never done that before. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  1,180
  • Content Count:  18

Check your secondary rollers, it's usually the only problem the secondary have.