Roller fairlead

Hogisland42

• Member ID:  666
  • Content Count:  37

The fairlead that came with my cheap harbor freight winch is to narrow to fit the mounting holes on my 2021 defender hd8. Can someone please tell me what to order. I got one I thought would fit but I was wrong.

Sorry I put this in the wrong topic. My bad

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Which winch kit did you get? I'm not sure about the front considering I bought my 19 with a factory front winch. But the 5000 I bought from HF works grrat on the back. I believe the 21 still comes with a 4500 up front which may have a larger roller than something smaller...

I got a harbor freight 2500 zxr winch. Probably should have got a bigger one, but was a spur or the moment purchase. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The frame size changes as you go larger on the ATV/SUV winches, measure the center to center hole distance and order a fairlead that matches your predrilled holes.🙂

16 hours ago, Hogisland42 said:

I got a harbor freight 2500 zxr winch. Probably should have got a bigger one, but was a spur or the moment purchase. 

Not saying a 2500 won't work, but usually you you buy a winch that is at least twice the weight of the rig plus some. That way you dont over strain the winch itself during a pull. After your stuck in a bog the suction creates more than the weight weight of the mud itself. My suggestion would be get a larger winch. I've always been a guy that would rather have MORE than needed than NOT ENOUGH when it's NEEDED.... HF's 5000 works awesome and comes with a rocker switch for the cab.... 

GOOD LUCK!!

Joe

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Definitely going to want at least a 4500 or larger winch.

2500 lbs. winches are really only good for the smaller (under 500cc) machines. Or as a secondary use winch (game loader, etc).

Edited by Steelslinger
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input, I mostly use it for around the farm  and woods and a little hunting. It will mainly be for emergencies. I actually have more trouble getting stuck in the snow than mud. I try to stay out of the deep mud. I will give this a try since I already have it. If needed I will get a bigger one. I was kinda just being cheap when I got the 2500

5 hours ago, Hogisland42 said:

Thanks for the input, I mostly use it for around the farm  and woods and a little hunting. It will mainly be for emergencies. I actually have more trouble getting stuck in the snow than mud. I try to stay out of the deep mud. I will give this a try since I already have it. If needed I will get a bigger one. I was kinda just being cheap when I got the 2500

I always figure the trial version as part of my cost. Meaning that if I get something and it doesn't work for me, that price is then added to the unit that I'm going to need. In that if the 2500 was 100 and a 5000 is 200. That means (to me) that the 5000 cost me 300.... but thats me. I guess if you can use it in some other way it would not be a total lose... other than the time it takes installing it. Same principle as mud, the drag of the snow and the freezing to the bottom of your rig also adds to the weight of the pull. Again, good luck in your path to what works for you... I'm pretty sure HF would refund you and allow you to buy an upgraded winch. Might be an option. A 2500 is more suited for a quad, but if it works for you..... AWESOME SAUCE!!!

On 10/27/2020 at 12:50 PM, A hunt 2 remember said:

Not saying a 2500 won't work, but usually you you buy a winch that is at least twice the weight of the rig plus some. That way you dont over strain the winch itself during a pull. After your stuck in a bog the suction creates more than the weight weight of the mud itself. My suggestion would be get a larger winch. I've always been a guy that would rather have MORE than needed than NOT ENOUGH when it's NEEDED.... HF's 5000 works awesome and comes with a rocker switch for the cab.... 

GOOD LUCK!!

Joe

You are not wrong at all.

• Thanks 1