Understanding the driving modes

Brut

• Member ID:  676
  • Content Count:  1

I'm new to the forum with a 2021 HD8. I'm kind of a "need to know how it works" guy and would like to know exactly how the work and Eco driving modes work. Does it change gearing? Throttle response? Rpm's? I understand Hi and Lo range but how do the driving modes modify the response? What differences are expected and noticeable? Thanks.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

The driving modes: normal, work and eco are an electronic program in the ECU that works with your electronic gas pedal. The gas pedal is not connected mechanically to the throttle body, the connection is electronic. As you step on the gas pedal the variable potentiometer  changes the amount of siganl going to the throttle body similar to what you would do if it was a mechanical connection.

Normal mode: this is the best performance mode and is the one I use all the time.

Work mode: slows down the throttle response especially if you are going over rough ground to reduce the jerkiness.I use work mode when my grand kids are driving to even out the throttle response while they are learning to drive.

Eco mode: controls the the throttle response so that you get the best mileage, sometimes used when you are short on fuel. This mode will give you a slower or more gradual throttle response.

Most members on here will agree that they played with the switch or guage in the newer models a couple of times and than set the switch to normal and haven't used it since.😉

• Member ID:  344
  • Content Count:  4

On bumpy, slow trails, I always use the ECO mode. It really smooths out the throttle because your uncontrolled foot doesn't really move the throttle. Normal when I can go smooth and work when I am hauling/towing. Because of the areas we drive, ECO mostly.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

As per Andy.... Used the switch a couple times.... stuffed it under the dash!!! It was taking up valuable dash space...