New to canam-2020 defender dps hd10

Sulli

• Member ID:  546
  • Content Count:  2

I purchased this unit Saturday and I’m wanting to add a winch.  Do I need a canam wiring harness or can I just use the wiring that comes with the winch?  It’s confusing because when I look up parts it says 2019-prior.  Did the wiring change for the 2020?  Also had anyone added the wild boar front bumper and if so how has it done for protection?  Thanks- Sulli

Edited by Sulli

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Well Sulli, first off, let me start with... WELCOME!!! As far as a winch, I've added a rear winch to mine and used the winch wiring to the accessory post. Now I've added other posts that are more accessible for me. But wired it as per instructions for the winch. I found a Badlands SXS winch at Harbor freight that has the same rocker switch as the stock rocker switch for my front winch. I added the rear winch switch next to the front switch so when/if needed I can pull off what we call a banjo string pull. (Pulling both front and rear at same time to pull the rig parallel with the road rather than the rig sliding off the edge)As for the bumper.. not sure which one yer talking about exactly. But I added the CanAm big brush/rancher bumper and it has worked perfectly. It also looks intimidating as all get out. I'm in the process of painting my bumpers and rock sliders to match the lumber/boat rack I just built for Bear. (Hammered Antique Pewter) 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Hi Sulli:

Where do you want to add the winch front or back? Some of the units come with wiring in place behind the dash for the winch control switch for the front winch?

Perhaps one of the members who has one of these units can respond and help you out, did you ask your dealer; their tech. should know because they have probably installed winches for other customers.🙂

• Member ID:  546
  • Content Count:  2

Wanting to install it in the front.  I went back to my dealer yesterday and said that I did have to use the canam wiring harness to install a winch even if it’s not one of their winches.  I purchased the harness and I believe it will be a very clean install.

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I CALL BS to the having to use their wiring... I really hate when dealers HAVE NO CLUE!!! YET TELL YOU YOU MUST USE THEIR SHIT!! My dealer told me i needed a harness for each heated unit in the cab. Got the harnesses and each one was set up for ALL heated accessories... then wanted to charge me a restocking fee... WTF??? 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Hi Sulli, I agree that you can install the winch without the Canam wiring harness but since you purchased one it should be easier, quicker and more money. There should be a set of instructions with the kit or online which may help with routing the wires. Good luck with the install.🙂