How to eliminate vibrations on pavement

Toolboy

• Member ID:  323
  • Content Count:  50

My 2020 Defender Max Limited had a lot of wobble in my steering wheel when I switched to 32" Rockabillys on new beadlock rims.  It was an annoyance but I thought it just goes with the territory of having bigger, more aggressive wheels.  I was wrong.  I checked the alignment by myself and found it to be almost 1/4" toe out.  A half of dozen adjustments later and it runs true and eliminated much of the wobble but not all.  Lastly I balanced the Rockabillys with some taking almost a pound of weights.  But now it drives straight down the road with less vibration than the factory big horns.  As most of my miles are road miles, it makes it much more pleasant to drive.  Now it drives like a car and cruises smooth all the way up to 70 mph.  (downhill, only 66 on the flats, GPS confirmed). 

On another note, as the shift out on the CVT reaches max at around 45 mph, the larger tires makes a huge difference on rpms at all speeds near shift out and above.  It is much quieter at high speed with the the 32" rockabillys than the stock bighorns due in part to much lower rpms to achieve the same speeds vs stock tires.  I hope this helps others in finding the true potential of this UTV limo. 

• Like 2

• Member ID:  232

Good info share Toolboy.  I decided to order up some 30" Kenati Mongrels.  My hope is that since they are DOT rated they will be fairly true on round and weight. Keeping the stock wheels though, I like the looks and want to spend that money elsewhere on the machine.

We will see how mine work out.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Another thing with the wobble. The lugs are smaller than the wheel holes and require attention to making sure they sit correctly centered in the lug holes. I will be drilling out my hubs and putting real automotive studs in place of the stock ATV studs which will help. But having the toe in just a bit... 1/4" maybe... will get it to track better.... and having the 32's balanced will DEFINITELY HELP with the hop.... I also run my pressure up close to max on the roads... paved or gravel... Great to hear you are finding success in your needs for a pleasurable ride... KEEP IT UP!!

• Like 1

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

5 hours ago, JDK said:

Good info share Toolboy.  I decided to order up some 30" Kenati Mongrels.  My hope is that since they are DOT rated they will be fairly true on round and weight. Keeping the stock wheels though, I like the looks and want to spend that money elsewhere on the machine.

We will see how mine work out.

4 hours ago, A hunt 2 remember said:

Another thing with the wobble. The lugs are smaller than the wheel holes and require attention to making sure they sit correctly centered in the lug holes. I will be drilling out my hubs and putting real automotive studs in place of the stock ATV studs which will help. But having the toe in just a bit... 1/4" maybe... will get it to track better.... and having the 32's balanced will DEFINITELY HELP with the hop.... I also run my pressure up close to max on the roads... paved or gravel... Great to hear you are finding success in your needs for a pleasurable ride... KEEP IT UP!!

Will you have to put any sort of lift on your machine with the 30” Mongrels? How about clutching? 

Would like to see some pics of your setup.

Thanks 

Edited by Mikep123456

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

2 hours ago, Mikep123456 said:

Will you have to put any sort of lift on your machine with the 30” Mongrels? How about clutching? 

Would like to see some pics of your setup.

Thanks 

Well, I put a battle armor 2" lift which was more like 1.5" and my 32's would almost run with no rubbing. But would rub on downhill cornering. So I would think a 30 would be fine with a cheap small lift... I added 2" forward front A-arms that took care of my rub... As for clutching??? Unless you drag race it, or run it on roadways that require a quicker rate of acceleration to join traffic... I have found my clutching isn't HORRIBLE... That being said, I will be clutching Bear in the near future...

• Member ID:  232

I have the battle armor spacer kit. Like A2HR it gave me about 1.5” not 2”. Fir the price and ease of install still happy with it. I think there will be plenty of space for 30” tires. I run my preload on the shocks max at the rear and halfway at the front so it sits level front to back. That gives about 2.5” total lift. Eventually I want to upgrade to the S2 HD springs. 

As for the clutch we will see how it goes. I know the weight and size will make a difference but I’m willing to live with the drop in acceleration if I can get my quarter panels al little further away from the obstacles. The max likes to drag it’s belly on things. I am more worried about axel shafts. That’s why 30”s instead of 32”s. 

I will be updating my build section with a few things once I get the tires on. Hopefully they are in today. Taking it camping and making a few runs on a long weekend and I’d love to have the new meats on. Fingers crossed they arrive.