2021 Can am defender melted impeller fan

joshua

Question

• Member ID:  2,106
  • Content Count:  7

Hey, I have an issue with my 2021 can am defender hd10 that has me in the dark. I’ll quickly try to go thru what happened so everything makes sense. I had it sitting outside when it was around negative 20 degrees outside for about 6 hours when I went to go start it it started really hard and i needed a jump pack to get it to start. I let it running for a while to let it warm up, and when I came back out it was in limp mode with the engine light on. Also the it read the temp as 0 degrees which obviously wasn’t correct. I decided to drive it home which was about three miles, and obviously a bad move. About to miles in the plastic y fitting above the coolant tank blew out. We towed it back and I changed the two plastic fitting above the coolant tank and they were melted. The temp gauge was still not reading right so I brought it to the dealer, and they changed the thermostat, and the temp gauge none of which fixed the issue then they pulled off the cover on the water pump and its all gelled up and the impeller fan is gone. So said the best option is to replace the engine and the whole cooling system which is pretty steep. Is there a way to clean this all out or am I stuck with getting a new engine? Any advice on how to go from here would be greatly appreciated!

7 answers to this question

PHOTO-2024-01-25-17-48-04.jpeg

image_0 2.jpeg

image_0.jpeg

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Nasty looking impeller, I can see you having to replace the impeller and maybe the water pump assembly, not sure how far the plastic flowed so trying to get it out of the engine block, hoses and rad may be a chore? 

The impeller may have failed due to lack of coolant and the temp guage wouldn't read right if it wasn't in the coolant. If the coolant was low; the plastic may have stayed near the water pump which would make it easier to clean out.

Do a compression test first and check the cylinders with a boroscope to see if they are scored due to over heating. Looks like a big job.🤑

Thanks for the response! Looks like I might have a project on my hands😏 I flushes out the radiator, and nothing came out. But a bunch of kinda grey goey like substance came out of the hose when I flushed that out.. So not sure what that came from.. the one that goes from the water pump to the rad. So I am hoping that all that junk didn’t circulate thru the whole system. 

So I did a compression test, and one was 175, and the other 160. I really am pretty ignorant to how close they should be.. does that seem normal?

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Did you do the compression test with the TB wide open? The numbers are within 10%. The manual dosen't have compression numbers so you may have to check with the dealer. My SWAG is that it should run with those numbers and if you can get the goo out of the block near the water pump you may be good to go with a new water pump and check the thermostat.🤔

No I didn't I Just checked it cranked it over without opening the TB. I got the parts for it coming today so we will see if that takes care of it. 

I changed the water pump seal, and the impeller. Flushed things out as best I could, and Its working great. I ran it pretty hard, and it kept the temp at around 175

• Like 1