Rotopax mount

Ctbvmi01

• Member ID:  462
  • Content Count:  3

I just bought a 2020 defender dps hd8 and wanted to know how you mount rotopax fuel containers.  Are most using the gear rail or headache rack?  Specifically for the 4 gallon container which requires 2 mounts.  Thank you in advance for the help.

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

I’ve seen them on the gear rail. Less obtrusive. I have a gear rail that I thought I would use however because I installed the cargo winch it kinda limits options, the chainsaw interferes with the winch. 

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

I have the 4 gallon rotopax mounted direct to the cab side of my bed. You can see the pictures in my build. I can get you some more pictures if that would be helpful. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Even full of fuel, the bed still tilts up and easily stays in the dump position. Not too much weight to make it collapse back down.  

Good luck with the project!

• Member ID:  462
  • Content Count:  3

Pmbaseball24, what bracket are you using

Used one of the dlx mounts and one of the lox mounts.

• Member ID:  467
  • Content Count:  2

Hey @pmbaseball24 - I've got a 4G rotopax ready to go, and think I know where I'd like to install it on my MAX XMR, but .... before drilling holes, I'd love to see some pics of what worked for you?  did you drill just through the plastics of the bed, or find something more solid?  Really appreciate the advice.  thanks

Yep, just layed the rotopax flat in the bed so the brackets are not actually carrying any weight, more just keeping it held upright. Marked it all out and started drilling the holes. I believe I made a run to ace hardware because the bolts that came with the kit were either too long or too short, I can’t remember. I also added 3 bolts on the top to keep the rotopax more stable. The bed rail towards the cab has a slight tilt to it and I wanted the rotopax at a 90 degree angle from the floor of the bed. Not necessary, but to achieve this, it requires shimming the flat part of the pack mounts up against the bed rail. I used some left over black nylon spacers from a tv mounting kit to get it right. Hopefully the pictures help! The rotopax is a little swollen. Only 111 degrees out here in Tucson today. Good luck!!

9B92C86C-0447-4EF8-A7F2-8E728F39A5B4.jpeg

CFAC4AA2-2422-4B83-B713-D4116D6DEB99.jpeg

B53BE7EE-567D-4FB3-B030-D568188AE0C2.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  166
  • Content Count:  171

How much gas are you guys going through in an average day trip? Just wondering what kinda fuel amounts people are using. It’s kinda tough as each rider has a different foot but just curious about how many L or gal your using in a day.