2019 Defender Xt Cab HD10 sound & heat insulation

Andystoy19

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I bought a box of Noico 80 mil foil backed sound proofing matt with the aluminum colored backing on Amazon. No problem with the product it cuts, and attaches as adverised. If you were to apply it inside as I did you can get the black backing.

I wanted to apply the product inside the engine bay but there were too many things in the way and that would be a pretty big and difficult job.

I discovered a removable panel inside the cab, you can remove it by pulling the 5 push pins. It is located right behind the center seat and with careful manipulation you can pull it out towards the passenger side. The passenger back rest comes off, it is held in place on top by two rubber grommets and when you pull towards the front they pull out allowing you to remove it. My drivers seat moves forward about 3" so that gave me just enough room to work behind it.

The removable panel gives you access to the front of the engine; you can see the front driveshaft through this opening. It is obviously there if you need to access the front of the engine so you don't want to block this access. I applied the Noico matt to the back of the removable panel so that it faces the engine, hoping the reflective material will reduce the amount of heat coming into the cab. Picture one is the panel with sound proofing attached. I put the panel back into place and it will fit although it is snug. Picture shows the removable panel behind the center arm rest and seat belt.

Step 2 was to apply the sound proofing to the cab interior behind the seats. This is no small task either because of the uneven surface, a few obstructions and many nooks and crannies. I made sure not to cover over any fasteners or push pins that may be needed some time down the road. Picture 2 shows the completed job that kinda looks like a patch work quilt. The sound proofing is installed top to bottom about 1/2" off the floor at the drivers seat and even on the inside of the battery cover.

The good news its mostly covered by the seats and its behind you. There were may holes and openings that were covered so this will reduce the dust etc. from coming into the cab.

I used an audio sound analyzer internet app on my cellphone that wasn't calibrated but did show changes in noise level etc. so it is a relative indicator of noise level at best. At idle in P at 1300 RPM I got a 4 db decrease, good start but at 2000,3000, 4000 and 5000 RPM there was very little if any reduction from the readings before the install. This was disappointing but may indicate that the noise resonates throughout the cab from the frame etc. The cab itself is not solid and is a bunch of removable panels that are held in place with push pins and the odd bolt. I hope the heat soak from the engine provides better results but that will be subjective.

In summary, I don't think I would do this again knowing what I know now.🤔

20200421_100357.jpg

20200422_101122.jpg

• Like 1

• Member ID:  70
  • Content Count:  80

Thanks for the information. I feel the same way about the cab noise and heat in my 2018 Defender HD 10 CAB XT model. I’ve often wondered and thought about removing my doors spring through fall. Not sure how much of an effect it will have on reducing the noise or heat? Bummer that your effort didn’t yield better results.

Mike 

Edited by Mikep123456

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

You didn't cover enough of the back wall. You will have to cover the entire wall to make a difference in heat and sound.

When I did mine, I took the rear seats out ('19 Max model) and covered every square inch from rear window down to the floor. I also spanned the gaps at the side panels. It cut down the noise, but I did it for the heat reduction so my kids could enough the ride with out sweating like they were being cooked. Also reduced the amount of dust coming in. All I used so far is the Kilmat 80 (similar to the product you used). I plan to all a finish layer of either foam or the acoustic panel from the 2020 limiteds.

Edited by Steelslinger

Good point, I have some of the insulation on the engine side but I don't expect to try and get 100% coverage because like I said before I believe that the sound may be from resonance. There will be a small reduction in heat transfer and dust for sure. 🙂

There is a decent amount of sound dampening. I don't have any readings, but I could use a similar method and use an App on my phone to see what it is now. I do feel that it would be worth it. I don't think you get as much from resonance through the frame to cancel out what is deadened.

I think a lot of the sound is just due to there being nothing to block it through the back wall and the spaces between the side panels and frame. Add in a foam and/or marine carpet layer, would kill it even more.

It will never be car quiet, and frankly to expect that is foolish, but being able to converse a bit with the family without downright shouting will be nice.

Edited by Steelslinger

I believe that a lot of the noise comes up through the floor and even the dash but I didn't want to remove the plastic skid plate to do the bottom back corner of the cab and the floor from underneath yet?🙂

• 4 weeks later...

705800581 is a noise insulation kit for the 2020 Defender Ltd, has anyone checked out to see what is in it?🤔

Checked with the dealer its an interior roof insulation package not a rear wall insulation package?🤨

So I do know there is a rear liner kit for the 2020 XT. It install behind the rear seats of a Max and behind the seats of a 3 seater. I don’t believe they offer the liner for the front firewall. 

Hi Mike, do you happen to have a part number for the rear cab insulation kit?🤔

I looked for it on-line but couldn’t find it. The dealer I was at informed me it was an option for the XT and standard for the Limited. If I get a chance I will call tomorrow to get the Part number. 

• 6 months later...

• Member ID:  892
  • Content Count:  1

I have the 2018 defender max cab. I agree, there noisy in the cab. Hopefully BRP comes out with a precut, pre molded panel and or panels that would fit behind the back seat from window to floor. 

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  980
  • Content Count:  2

It is part number 705800582. I purchased one, but haven't got around to installing it yet. 

Ljs and kwdel - Heres a link to when I put one in my 2019 Max Cab