4wd not engaging. Can anyone help?

pmbaseball24

• Member ID:  298
  • Content Count:  107

Just started this weekend, at a bad time out on the trail (of course). Luckily the rear locker still functioned to get us out. Once we got home, I got it to lock back in once or twice and then it stopped again. Now I can’t get it in at all. Seems to be something electrical to me. Put a volt meter on the switch, pulled the plug on the actuator and am getting power there as well. Does anyone have any ideas where to start with diagnosing this? Is there a relay that could be hanging up? 10 amp fuse by the battery in the rear is good. Any help here is appreciated. Trying to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible! 

Edited by pmbaseball24

Quick update, let the machine sit for a little while. Turned it on and I could hear the actuator engaging in the rear again. Flipped it on and off a few times and it worked fine. Then I switched it on and while the switch was on and engaged on the dash, it disengaged itself and the light went dim on the top. Switch issue? Jiggled the wires and couldn’t get it to recreate the issue again in the “4wd on position”. I’m officially lost at this point.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If you don't have the "Smart lok"  front wheel option than there are two things you can check: The 4WD indicator switch may be defective as in poor contact internally or loose wires. The second is the 4WD actuator which may be defective or have loose wires. The shop manual has procedures for checking each but difficult to do over the internet.

If you have power from the dash to the 4WD indicator switch on the transmission than that leaves the switch on the transmission or the actuator itself. Both those items would require a trip to the dealer for a warranty claim and replacement parts? 

You could check to see if the actuator is engaging 4WD but you have an indicator switch problem but that would require jacking the vehicle up and blocking it safely so that you could see if the front driveshaft turns when you engage 4WD, I suspect it doesn't since you said it didn't appear to work on the trail when you needed it?🤔

I THINK I have it narrowed down to the switch. Take a look at this video and let me know what you think.

I should note, this video was with the ignition switch to the “on” position but not running. I was trying to take a loose connection/ shaking machine from the engine running out of play. I took the switch apart and all the internals seem to be working fine. Doesn’t seem to be any loose wires going to the black plastic block that clips to the switch. Thanks for your help Andy! Let me know what you think.

I think I found it... there are 11 (I think) total female metal connectors inside that wiring block that clips to the switch. Tried pulling them all out again and 1 of them backed out on me with ease. Must have missed this one when I tugged on them earlier. Pushed the switch back on the wiring block and manually pushed number “3” female on the male connector. So far so good. Engages every time I switch it. 

Hard to tell from the video, but since you have the switch out of the dash you can identify which wires have power in the 2WD vs 4WD and eliminate the switch completely by passing it and see if you have 4WD when you should have if yes, than it will most likely be your dash switch. There is a 4WD indicator switch on the gearbox that shows when you are in 4WD when the actuator moves the mechanism to engage a small lever actuates the indictor switch which should feed back to your dash switch showing 4WD engaged. I don't have the schematic to show which terminals it comes from on either switch? Good luck.😉

• Thanks 1

Good to hear that you found the problem.🙂