Tube style rock sliders?

JDK

• Member ID:  232
  • Content Count:  50

Anyone out there have the tube style rock sliders?  If so did you install them yourself?  How happy are you with them?

I ended up in the rocks in my max and really did a number on my quarter panel plastics. Ouch. Need some protection and think the tube style will work  better on my long machine. 

Appreciate any feedback you all might have. 

• Member ID:  380
  • Content Count:  5

Just finished putting mine on my 2020 Max. Install wasn't' to bad except for the right  side due to the fuel tank being in the way. I had to undo the fuel tank and slide it over to be able to reach down to put the bolt in on the rear support. You definitely need some help to install them. I think they are pretty sturdy and my hope is that they will avoid the very thing you mention. 

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  362
  • Content Count:  21

Yes, the right side is a bit of a PITA but I had my body-builder and mechanic son helping me.
Love the tube rock sliders on my 2020 DPS 6x6!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. 

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Well, I will say, OEM sliders....... NOT ENOUGH!!! Both sides of mine are bent to the skids.... Easy to install, and look cool. But PROTECTION??? NOT ENOUGH!! I may bend mine back straight and add a piece of 1.5" angle to the back side below the doors. Or maybe get a piece of tubing that i can double up that area with. But the wall thickness of the OEM sliders is....... can you guess??? ....... you got it..... NOT ENOUGH!!! 😢

• Like 1

• Member ID:  362
  • Content Count:  21

Hmm. I have not banged mine against anything yet, so thanks for the warning. I will look into adding some metal to them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavidY said:

Hmm. I have not banged mine against anything yet, so thanks for the warning. I will look into adding some metal to them.

DO!! Now I only have a two door. But from what I gather, i would add a piece about 18" or so....  under each door....Thinking about it a little more..... I may want to add them to the outside. Reasoning..... I get snow build up between the sliders and cab already. So closing down that area may be detrimental to other things....

Edited by A hunt 2 remember
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will take some pictures of mine tomorrow in the light. I do also want to say, while I don't Baja "Bear". I do drive him to his FULL POTENTIAL!! I have over 1000 miles/150 hrs on him and overall he and his additional parts have been up to the task!! I think looking back though, some of the aftermarket parts would be more suitable for true TRAIL RIDING rather than just PIMPING OUT MY RIDE owners.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Hunt2remember. Look forward to seeing the pics. I don’t abuse my machine but I bought it to use it. Stepping down in tire size from my blazer and jeep that I used to own has really made me have to adjust my driving style. With 37’s I rarely thought about my quarter panels. With 27’s you better always think about them. I’ll have 30” tires before too long so that will help too. 

Beefing up the OEM sliders might be easier than building from scratch, at least from the mounting point perspective anyways. But it might be a lot less expensive just to build my own. 

Has anyone built their own sliders from scratch?

So here ya go.... lets just say, from here on out rule #1 is ALWAYS CHECK THE HUMPTY BUMP!!!  One other thing.... JUST THINK HAD THEY NOT BEEN THERE AT ALL..... 😢 😢 😢YIKES!!!! The fourth picture is hard to see, but the tube is ABOVE the bottom of the rig..... 

20200330_171740.jpg

20200330_171728.jpg

20200330_171642.jpg

20200330_171612.jpg

20200330_171600.jpg

I’d say the sliders spared you some other damage but those aren’t new anymore. 

44 minutes ago, JDK said:

I’d say the sliders spared you some other damage but those aren’t new anymore. 

Most of the damage was busting trails in the snow. Rolling over humpty bumps and coming down on BOULDERS!!! Like I said, rule #1: PRE CHECK ALL HUMPTIES!!! The one divot on the drivers side nearly made it to the floor.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Looks like the tube type rock sliders provide reasonable protection from the side but not much from the bottom, see my pics in the builds section under Andystoy with the 2" lift and 30" tires. The side pictures show the can am rock sliders installed with the larger fender flares. The rock sliders provide real good protection under the edge of the cab when sliding over a tree or a rock and a bit of protection from the side. They fit snuggly to the chassis and are easy to install. Maybe you can install them in combination with the tube style?🤔

• Thanks 1

I’ve looked at that style too. They are quite a bit more expensive. I think if a person was going to go with both you might be better off going with a Trail Armor 1/2” thick belly plate.

https://trailarmor.com/products/trail-armor-2019-can-am-defender-max-hd8-defender-max-hd10-defender-max-x-mr-defender-max-dps-defender-max-xt-full-skids

Completely smooth on the bottom with a lip that acts as a rock slider fo the quarter panels. Problem is it’s $1k. But you’d be about that much with the can-am quarter panel rock sliders plus the tube rock sliders. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I agree, but the can am ones might be a good addition for your machine, since you already bought and installed the tube. So far I am happy with the stock full skid plate (plastic) that came with the machine and the can am aluminum sliders that I added, I believe they come stock on the XMR.

• Like 1