Unused wires

Brian Grffin

• Member ID:  350
  • Content Count:  3

Just purchased a 2020 defender max basic unit. What are the bundle of wires under the dash and front access used for? 

I also see unused fuse compartments. What are these used for?

E802BECE-0F8B-417A-AB5A-54562A191579.jpeg

8A2F33FE-8B34-4AB2-BFD5-B6FDA39FDDFA.jpeg

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Not positive, but considering you stated a BASE UNIT..... I would figure they would go to upgrades such as winch, lights, heater, etc.... but I'm not sure... I know my 2019 had a few of these open pig tails.... But I bought a full cab with heat..... 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I would suggest that you ask your dealer to give you a copy of the wiring diagram for your Defender Max basic unit. If he says he doesn't have one ask him to copy the page(s) from the 2020 Shop manual as well take a picture of the dash of the same vehicle that has all the options. This should give you a better idea of what extra wiring you may have. It may be that you have a wiring harness that includes wiring for dash control of the winch, the wiring for the eco/work/normal modes etc.

You may also ask for and order the shop manual and supplement if there is one for the machine which would be most helpful. Yes they cost money but are a great investment.😉

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  362
  • Content Count:  21

After just sorting through a bunch of that stuff to install my accessories...

There are bundles of wires already run with water-tight connectors. There's a big bundle of them that go from the central dash to the floorboard for lighting, heated accessories and a smaller bundle that goes under the service hood area for a winch. It is really all very convenient and thoughtful on BRP's part but...

Sorry to say that the install guides for these powered accessories left me scratching my head and coming up with new combinations of fowl language until I sorted it out for myself.

Clearly, what Andystoy19 said is true (and I'm going to do it myself): Get the shop manuals!

David

• Member ID:  350
  • Content Count:  3

They are free wires. All color coated. Nice to have 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

• Member ID:  736
  • Content Count:  1

Brian Grffin do they come out in back somewhere? 

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  836

The bundle under the dash goes under the first center floor board, to attach rear and cab accessories. Leaves the pain in the but time of running wires for lights ect. to dash area. They are color coded for easy hook up. Note: they are not powered or grounded.   

• Member ID:  840

The bundle under the dash has four of the same colour combinations as the bundle under the hood. Do the others come out in the area of the battery, or is there another bundle in the engine compartment?

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  1,430

The wires under the dash lead to under the hood and to the middle of the center tunnel.  They are provided for wiring accessories and make it much easier to do so, as you don't have to deal with routing wires through the firewall or around the HVAC ducts/equipment.1438238035_DefenderWiring2.thumb.jpg.ca7ce87b203afa4bc0fe45c66e4ccdfb.jpg

Defender Wiring 1.jpg

Defender 3.jpg