2019 Defender XT Cab Retrofit Emergency Brake Assist

Andystoy19

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

One of our other members first mentioned this retrofit but I thought I would post my experience with all the info in one place. You can see a diagram of the parts on canam parts 2020 Defender XT/Brakes XT. It is the diagram that is off to the bottom left in a box. The parts you will need are 705601770 circlip, 1722 bushing, 1725 lever, 1729 spring and 2655 slip on rubber handle. For the last four parts make sure you use the 70560 prefix for each item. These are the Canam part numbers.

There is no dissasembly required just a bunch of patience. Slip the rubber handle onto the lever and press the bushing into the hole in the lever handle; be careful not to break the bushing. Look under the dash on the left side of the brake pedal below the pivot, you will see two partial shafts, the top one is 3/8" and the bottom one is about 1/8". The top shaft is where the lever will pivot once you insert the bushing part over it and the small bottom one is where the brake lever rests when not in use.

Put the spring onto the 3/8" shaft with the longer leg of the spring up, it will fit into a hole that is drilled in the original brake pedal (very hard to see but the end of the spring will show through once in place) , gently start the brake lever onto this shaft vertically (handle down), pay attention to the shorter leg of the spring and you will see where it will rest on the top of the lever in a slight recess. As soon as you have the shorter leg in the right spot slowly rotate the lever towards you making sure the spring doesn't slide off as you push the lever into place. The spring now holds the lever down against the 1/8" shaft that I mentioned earlier with just enough tension to prevent it from rattling. This part was easy.

The lever is held in place with the circlip that fits onto the 3/8" shaft, looks easy but a real PITA for me. First try, lost the circlip while trying to get it into place and never did find it. Finally got a couple of new circlips and after many failed attempts got the circlip to the end of the shaft and popped it on. You will be working in a very tight space that requires a good light and you must be a bit of a contortionist that is where patience comes in.

To engage the Park brake press down on the brake pedal with your foot and lift up on the lever handle until you will feel the ratchet engage the bottom of the dash. To release simply press the brake pedal and the lever will disengage at the ratchet and drop down to its resting position. FYI I tried several pictures but they don't show much as everything is black and difficult to make out what you are looking at?😉

• 6 months later...

• Member ID:  599
  • Content Count:  10

Just installed this on mine.  Everything was as described above.  Use a 90 degree c clip plier, and the c clip slips right on, no sweat.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  631
  • Content Count:  12

what was the rough cost for materials?

I can't remember the exact number but it would be about $50 cdn or $35US? I use mine alot especially when putting in and removing the dock which is down a hill to the water.🙂

• Member ID:  631
  • Content Count:  12

I've seen people talk about this and say that one that is needed is 1" of 1/4 fuel line. I've reached out to the people that posted about the tubing to find out what it is for. I haven't heard back. Any ideas?

Everything comes with the part numbers listed including the bushing which might be what someone used fuel line for?🙂

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  599
  • Content Count:  10

On 9/14/2020 at 10:31 AM, Andystoy19 said:

I can't remember the exact number but it would be about $50 cdn or $35US? I use mine alot especially when putting in and removing the dock which is down a hill to the water.🙂

bought mine as a kit on e bay.  Don't remember the cost.

If ya need it, it don't matter.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

Just ordered my parts for this upgrade. All parts as noted above. Only thing is... the handle starts with 70800 instead of the 70560 prefix... ended up 34 USD

• Member ID:  233
  • Content Count:  17

rubber hose is used as a bumper so not metal to metal,(on the little ear, lever, whatever you want to call it)