• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

This high tech device is necessary to operate my CDN$30K plus machine. I took the photo on the embossed tailgate so that you could get an idea of its length. There is also an embossed tape measure on the removable glove box, small increments are 1/4". This is a fun question so fire away.😉

20191203_123213.jpg

• Member ID:  282
  • Content Count:  12

On 12/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, Andystoy19 said:

This high tech device is necessary to operate my CDN$30K plus machine. I took the photo on the embossed tailgate so that you could get an idea of its length. There is also an embossed tape measure on the removable glove box, small increments are 1/4". This is a fun question so fire away.😉

20191203_123213.jpg

• Member ID:  282

No idea.  Very curious to find out...

I used my Defender XT this fall to recover the dock at the lake. We have a fairly steep trail that we use to bring the dock (on wheels) up the bank and to the area that we store it. We have 15 or more sections plus two wheeled lifts that we need to bring in. After the first couple of sections are brought in the hill becomes slimy and slippery so the Defender cannot get enough traction to pull the load up the hill backwards or forwards. I decided to use the front winch to pull the next section in after I found a spot where the Defender would not slide; this was on a fairly steep slope so when I put the Defender in Park, I was concerned about it jumping out of gear and running down the hill hurting someone or damaging something. When I got back in it was very difficult to get the gearbox out of Park as the weight of the vehicle (rolling weight) was now being held by the Park gear and it required quite a forceful jerk to get it to disengage possibly creating damage to the park gear and or the cable shift linkage. After this I stayed in the vehicle and had someone else run the winch line and make adjustments to the pull line etc. until we finished the job.

The canam decision to provide a UTV this size without a secondary brake system is completely unacceptable. Going back to quads, tractors, late 50 and early 60's cars they all had a park brake on automatic transmission vehicles. 

Since Canam has a secondary brake system on the 2020 models I would suggest that they offer a retrofit to all the older models at cost or as a recall. I realize that this is wishful thinking on my part but I can't see how they built and released a UTV in modern times without a secondary brake system. End of rant.

After thinking about possible solutions that I could use on my machine I remembered that we had a similar device that we used on our 1953 International truck to hold the clutch in while the engine was warming up in really cold weather (-40).

As a result I came up with my version of the secondary brake system which will hold brake pressure for as long as you want. I put it in place on the depressed brake pedal and it stays there. I won't provide any more detail on it because of a potential liability situation if someone used it incorrectly and had a runaway. If I could come up with a work around for this deficient design by Canam I am sure they could as well, I made mine from scrap lumber, and now you know the rest of the story.😈

• Member ID:  274
  • Content Count:  639

I use a set of cheap chocks when I winch. As far as it goes, my clamp on brake on my 2019 outlander would bleed off and let Buck roll off down the hill. YIKES!!! 

• Member ID:  294
  • Content Count:  2

2020's have a parking brake.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  233
  • Content Count:  17

Hello All,

You can add the park brake to 2019, and possibly older machines. Depending on the brake pedal, you replace the pedal or  add several parts (lever, clip,bushing ,spring) and install. I just did mine for the cost of $32. I found the link on Facebook, Defender Nation, or Cab Nation. Cant take credit for the mod just passing it along. Admin, i hope listing the other sites is permitted. I could also list the parts needed if necessary. The other site just has such a good write up on it i dont think i could improve on it.

That's good news, can you post the link to the write up please that will be on my Christmas shopping list for sure. If the parts list is separate please post it as well, thanks.😊

• Member ID:  233
  • Content Count:  17

parts list and photo showing how it installs.

20191221_121819 parts.jpg

20191221_122620 parts 2.jpg

Parts have been ordered, thanks again, Happy Holidays.😊

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

• Member ID:  631

I'm having a hard time finding those parts. Where did you order them from?

You can type in can am parts on your search and it will bring up several different options: I look up the part numbers by selecting the year, sxs, model etc and the parts fiche will show you the different categories with diagrams of how they fit together. I order my parts from the dealer.

In the US you can try can am parts house or parts direct, there may be other sources?🙂