Winch Line / Fairlead Replacement

Mark in Colorado

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

My stock CanAm/SuoerWinch 4500 came with a Synthetic rope that failed after about 3 hours of plow use.  It doesn’t help that my Defender had been a demo unit and the shop used it to recover a rental Commander once.  Anyway, my rope was shot (and I let Lake City Motorsports know about it).  Went with a Warn 8’ plow rope (red!) and - to further mitigate undue rope wear - I installed a Warn Plow Roller Fairlead with a substantially oversized lower roller that really relaxes the bend turning down to the plow.  I found my stock lower roller to be seized and with a bent throug-rod.  Bum deal.  You folks with a plow ought to check yours.  A seized roller will chafe a rope quickly.  I use the heaviest plow CanAm makes - the ProMount 72” Steel, so I figure this to be a decent long term investment.  $118 (rope and Fairlead).  I’ll let you know if it goes bust again.     -Mark

E7B1D86E-BE79-4772-B856-3680DA856DE8.jpeg

143A1058-6DF6-41AD-91EB-07DC06C908C6.jpeg

3C8E5C32-950E-4027-96C2-153A2C182BC7.jpeg

• Member ID:  171
  • Content Count:  55

That's why I went to a full hyd set up on mine. Just tip replace the 2 bolts on the new fairlead that hold in the side rollers with Button head bolts. what happened to my old one was the rope would loop and get caught on the bolt head when the plow would rise up on a pile and fall back down as soon as I backed up.

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

Tug, I appreciate you.  That’s not a bad idea at all considering the button head bolts are just laying around out in my shop, likely.  Will go find a pair.  

If I ever wear out the CanAm blade I’ll go to a Western full hydraulic.  For now I’m ok with the winch lift.