‘19 XT Cab - First Real Snow Day

Mark in Colorado

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

We got 10” of snow last night here in Colorado Springs and I wanted to share a real-usage report on how the Defender XT Cab with ProMount 72” Steel plow did.  These were tough conditions: 13F, 10”, very steep (20% grade in spots):

- CanAm 27” Chains: Excellent.  Used 4WD but not the lockers.  Great engine-hold down hill, superb traction uphill.  Work Mode seemed ideal (I tried them all).  I did hit the rear lockers once with it in 2WD just for the fun of it - I swear it would climb a tree.  What an amazingly capable machine.  Fun!

- ProMount 72” Steel - Good, but the stock paint would not shed snow or allow for a good blade roll (see picture).  It loads up badly and sticks.  I’ll be painting the with a Meyer Plow blade paint.  My wife suggested Pam spray!  No issues with the power angling hydraulics at all (even when frozen).  

- Heater / Defroster - AWESOME!  With the winter radiator front it stayed warm (hot really) and fog free under horrible conditions.

- Brakes - Hmmmm, had to mention this: as the machine began to freeze up outside after about 45 min, the brakes required about 3x the foot pressure to stop.  I’ve got a heated garage and I’m thawing then now.  Will research... wrong fluid DOT rating maybe?

- Wiper - Almost Perfect... I’d pay cash money for a wiper delay relay of some kind.  Anyone know of an upgrade?  I found myself constantly reaching up to turn it on/off.  Never once had to use the washer.  The windshield stayed warm to the touch even at near-single-digit temps and blowing snow.

- Headlights - GREAT, but need A Roof Light Bar - a classic plowing problem, but won’t put that CanAm unit up there: ugly, too expensive, too high.  Will wire up a 52” LED bar shortly.

The Can-Am runs circles around my old Bronco plow rig!

- Mark

21DFEA31-D285-49D5-85A1-FF49AC0A18E8.jpeg

CCE87759-BADB-4742-A996-49C33EC6098A.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Good write up and the pics to prove it. 

Dupont Snow and Ice comes in a spray container was recommended on the sled forum. I haven't tried it yet but bought two cans. I intend to use it on the running board area of the sled where we tend to get snow and ice build up. Buy a can and spray part of the blade and see if it meets your expectations.

Brakes, I suspect freezing of the calipers with the amount of snow your wheels are holding, which is normal for the job your doing. Brake fluid shouldn't be a problem but the brake calipers will freeze because of packed snow and ice and a warm rotor? 🤔

• Member ID:  186
  • Content Count:  10

Great set up, are the tire chains a must? I drive my machine all around town so not sure I want to deal with chains.  This will be my first winter with the SXS.

• Member ID:  242
  • Content Count:  126

PBRDef19, for me the chains are a must.  Our drive is 318’ long and has two 20% pitches.  Lots of snow and ice.  I worried about not having front chains but it handles the hill just fine with just the rear set. -Mark

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

• Member ID:  2,311
  • Content Count:  1

Impressive performance in challenging conditions! 🌨️ Your firsthand experience with the Defender XT Cab navigating 10 inches of snow on a 20% grade is invaluable. The CanAm 27” Chains and the ProMount 72” Steel plow seem like a formidable combo. Have you ever considered using a snow day predictor to anticipate these exciting adventures? Your insights make this forum a treasure trove for fellow enthusiasts!