2019 Defender HD10 XT

Vader

• Member ID:  142
  • Content Count:  29

Just recently I’ve noticed a noise, while turning, from the front end. More or less a light hum, groan or roar, for lack of better description. Not so much as a clatter or clunk. All this in regular 2wd mode. Any ideas? 

Since posting, I talked to the service manager where buggy was purchased. Was advised that most likely an issue with Visco lock...could try and service the front diff and go with a suggested heavier oil may solve it or replace under warranty, I have through Jan 2020. So taking it to a nearby dealer, not where I purchased it, and hoping for a resolution and not much grief due to not buying from them. 

Oh man...I figured I’d go ahead and service the differentials and gearbox on my buggy...now mind ya it’s not a mud park ride...deer lease and casual trails bout it...as much water it goes through is a small creek to the bottom of floor board...to my surprise It appears the front fluid has water and the rear just don’t know...it looks more “normal” than the front for sure...pic shows front diff fluid to the right and rear diff fluid on the left...I replaced all fluids with Royal Purple and gonna see what it looks like in a few weeks...what say the forum?

2D8DD505-1409-4E60-A31B-96C755718DD8.jpeg

8A42F7C2-694F-4BC6-BBA0-7D5247A5C542.jpeg

E94AA14F-885F-450E-8B10-CFD9DE09B165.jpeg

• 1 year later...

• Member ID:  776
  • Content Count:  1

Did this fix your noise problem?

3 minutes ago, Scottb said:

Did this fix your noise problem?

Just a change of the fluid in the front diff did not help the slapping noise. But, further info received from another dealer, was to add a 4oz bottle of Ford friction modifier. After about  a hundred miles, give or take, noise has subsided and all seems good to go. That’s been some time ago now as well. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Thanks for the update, both fluids looked like they had water in them the right hand one for sure. Since your describe fairly normal trail riding did you check the vent lines from the front and rear diff to make sure one or both hadn't come off or torn? I realize you changed the fuids a year ago. Normal color for the used diff fluid is dark almost black, lightly used may still appear dark green?

Your note on the Ford friction modifier is interesting since the visco lok front end dosen't have any sliding clutches per se and the visco part is sealed with its own high viscosity fluid which activates the movement to apply more force left or right. The friction modifier was used in pickup rear (Ford, GMC and Dodge) ends when they chattered going around a corner for example.

Good to hear everything sounds normal a year later.🙂

22 minutes ago, Andystoy19 said:

Thanks for the update, both fluids looked like they had water in them the right hand one for sure. Since your describe fairly normal trail riding did you check the vent lines from the front and rear diff to make sure one or both hadn't come off or torn? I realize you changed the fuids a year ago. Normal color for the used diff fluid is dark almost black, lightly used may still appear dark green?

Your note on the Ford friction modifier is interesting since the visco lok front end dosen't have any sliding clutches per se and the visco part is sealed with its own high viscosity fluid which activates the movement to apply more force left or right. The friction modifier was used in pickup rear (Ford, GMC and Dodge) ends when they chattered going around a corner for example.

Good to hear everything sounds normal a year later.🙂

Checked all external sources for the possible entry point of the water / condensation. Nothing located. I changed the second fluids fairly soon after the original. And there was zero issues like the first go around. So hoping no surprises awaits this far along. 
I’ve watched a couple YouTube videos on the visco lok system. No idea what the friction modifier helped out but the oddly sounding slapping, knocking, etc., noise from the front end left as a result of using it.