2020 Can-am Defender - What's New

supersix

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

2020-can-am-defender-lonestarhd10.png.f89c02666d7e08dbce624b35043f1206.png

For 2020, the Defender line gets elevated capabilities, redesigned comfort levels for the occupants, advanced the internal and external protection and refined styling.

To ensure the new Defender HD10 is more comfortable than ever, the vehicle now has the industry’s quietest 1000c V-twin engine. A thicker firewall acts as an improved sound and heat barrier between the occupant and engine components. A new low-sound exhaust system has a unique smooth low intensity with its own distinct sound. Recalibration in the CVT reduced shift line by 500 RPM resulting in quieter operation under heavy acceleration. For smoother operation to equal the reduce sound output, the driving mode reduces power. Speaking of power, the more powerful 82hp Defender Rotax HD10 engine also received a new cylinder head to increase airflow. It offers an industry-leading 69 lb-ft of torque or massive low-end towing strength.

Raising the bar on vehicle protection, Can-Am added a rugged front steel bumper and upper bumper plate. The heavy-duty XT bumper was strengthened to ensure durability in extreme use while looking bold. The revised Dual Phase steel frame was reinforced and lightened (-5-lbs.), offering up to 30% more rigidity. Another critical feature on the 2020 Defender SSVs is their enhanced ride quality. This was achieved with a new suspension calibration and also new front and rear 64-in. arched A-arms that providing extra clearance for obstacle crossings. A new brake holding mechanism improves operation on hills. The enhanced styling, complete with a new fascia, redesigned grill and hood, gives the Defender a signature Can-Am look. Inside the cockpit, certain Defender vehicles feature either a new 4.5-in. digital display or 7.6-in. display with keypad (X mr, XT-P and Lone Star) for a more polished look and easier reading.

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1
  • Content Count:  244

Here's a great video overview of the 2020 Defender upgrades:

• Like 1

• Member ID:  5
  • Content Count:  274

Interesting! I would like to hear one now to see how much quieter it is in person than my 2019 Lone Star. Hopefully, they smoothed out the jerkiness as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Extra 10 hp, better ride, better clearance and quieter are all good improvements, IMO

• 1 month later...

Just received the new promo from Canam in Canada:

The new Defender Limited is offered with AC as previously noted

A new model Defender Pro X has 28" tires and 13" of clearance

A new Defender Taskmaster was shown with a flatbed for pallet handling etc.

The rebate in Canada for some of the 2019 defenders appears to be $1500 and/or an additional year of warranty

I think it had 21 models so pretty much a huge choice and an application for almost everyone, and I didn't check the specs so I might have missed some???

• Like 1

The dealer mentioned that the 2020 Defenders have a  brake hold assist for parking on hills that supposedly holds the brakes when engaged. This would be a must have if it could be retrofitted to the older models. I saw an ad on a Utv website that mentioned it as well. 

Does anyone have any info on this or a option part number?🤔