Lifted Defender Max Limp Mode

Dave99

Question

• Member ID:  2,140
  • Content Count:  6

I've got a 2020 Defender Max HD10 on a 6" SuperATV lift, 4" GDP portals running 38" Quadboss QBT680s. on 20"s. Despite all the mud mods 90% of the time I ride dirt roads. I bought it from a friend so I know it hasn't been abused. It was completely stock when I bought it and I did all the mods the first week I owned it so I don't know if it did this before or the mods caused it. Since March I've been through 6 drive belts. They look like rats nest when I replace them. Just put a new factory belt on last week and now its gone into limp mode several times. It says Check Engine but its not overheating and I've changed the oil every couple of weeks since I bought it. Could the belt issue cause the limp mode? Everyone I ride with has a different opinion. I've heard I need performance clutches to turn the tires, I need more gear reduction in my portals, just get a clutch kit. I'm more concerned with the limp mode since this last belt change. Its shredded belts several times before but never got limp mode till this one, but its been every day since

Edit: I did just install four 8" speakers in the roof, two 12" subs in the bed and two Skar Audio marine amps with a DS18 INH-90 battery. Could an electrical issue from the install cause limp mode? The pic of the gauge cluster was tonight, riding dirt roads maybe 25-30mph

Max.jpg

limp.jpg

Edited by Dave99
missing info

4 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I don't know what is causing your limp mode but you have a serious clutch problem if you have replaced 6 belts. The clutches are slipping big time and running at very high temperature which results in catastrophic belt failure. When you take your belt guard off is there any water or mud in there that got in through the breather?

Have you taken your primary and secondary clutches apart, cleaned and inspected all the parts, you may have belt fragments logged in places that are affecting the belt holding performance or possibly broken secondary clutch buttons. After thoroughly cleaning the clutches with soap and water you can remove the glaze on the pulley face by gently scrubbing then with a scotch guard pad.

In stock program the dash will display a warning if you have belt slippage, but I am not aware of any connection to limp mode.

Are you driving around in Low R or H? Low should reduce your clutch slippage and belt temperatures significantly. Where did you purchase your portals and what do they suggest? I don't have any experience with Portals.

I have an EPI clutch kit in my machine and although low mileage I am still on the factory belt. Off road when putting in the back country I am in L range.😉

• Member ID:  2,140
  • Content Count:  6

With the 30% gear reduction in the portals and big tires Low gear tops out at 10mph. Most of the guys I ride with X3s and Renegde 1000s. These are mostly hard pack dirt roads. I haven't pulled the clutches. The portals were purchased new from an authorized Super ATV vendor who owns a fab shop near me. Its only been ridden in deep water and mud twice since I bought it. No mud or water in the belt box. Just a ton of gray dust but I blow that out every time with my compressor and air gun. 

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  146

definitely clean and inspect the clutches, every ride really...

clutching is 100% necessary imo- as andy alluded to, you have some serious issues with your clutches to blow that many belts in a short time.  even if it isnt clutching related, it needs to be better.  if you have never taken them apart after a blown belt, then there is any number of things that can be wrong with it to cause the limp mode.  take them fully apart, make sure all components that are supposed to move, move freely.  

steve

• Member ID:  1,180
  • Content Count:  18

The defenders has excellent clutching, with a lil common sense you should be able to run those 38s easily. I had a 21 xt on 42s with 45% portals, and never had a single issue, never a belt nothing. Have a buddy running 30% with 40s no issues, I have 42s on my limited now, no issues, I have a group of about 15 of us that all ride defenders, with no belt issues. Might want to check the alighnment on your clutch and make sure there's no rough grooves or anything in em.

IMG_9747.jpg

20230824_194214.jpg