2022 XT Pro 9.31V cranking voltage across battery.

DewMan

Question

• Member ID:  1,551
  • Content Count:  19

My forum search was fruitless so  I thought I could learn from from everyone else's experience here. Any help would be appreciated.

The issue I'm testing the battery for is slow cranking when engine is cold and even slower cranking when the engine is warm almost since day one. I have had no other issues with it.

The machine was bought new and is garage kept and has just over 100 gentle miles on it in the 1.5 yrs I've had it. All OEM engine/charging/starting parts including the battery. The issue existed prior to the install of rarely used aftermarket lights and stereo.

The issue has finally annoyed me long enough that I devoted some time to trouble-shoot it.

Using an electronic battery tester, hooked up between Negative & Positive terminals with a cold motor( as cold as 80 degree temps allow), I ran the following in vehicle tests:

1) Battery test - Passed 

98% charge

415 CCA

12.99v

internal resistance 7.15mOhms

2) Cranking test - LOW

9.31V while cranking

3)Charging system test - Passed

Loaded 14.27V

Unloaded 14.3V

Ripple 70mV

The question I have is "Is my ASSumption that since I read the low cranking voltage between the battery terminals that the battery is bad?" or do I need to check the cranking circuit  further for loose or corroded connections?" I've already confirmed the battery terminals themselves are tight.

If you're still reading this I thank you for your interest and patience.

Edited by DewMan
Edited for clarity.

2 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,551
  • Content Count:  19

Update:
I've replaced the OEM Yuasa battery with a new topped off Odyessy PC1200, which I was wanting to do anyway, but unfortunately it did not solve my slow cranking issue. The hunt for the cause continues. My next step will be to follow the cranking circuit to see what I can find. maybe I'll get lucky and find a loose nut other than the one behind the steering wheel. 😁

If anyone else has run into the slow cranking issue with a known good battery. I'd love to know what the issue ended up being. 

Thanks for your time and attention.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

If your battery is new and good(as stated)  than you can check the grounds and starter cables for corrosion and damage. After doing a couple of start cycles carefully touch the starter cables and see if they are hot, one of them may have some damage and isn't carrying enough current?

It may be the starter motor itself but I don't have any info on how to check for excessive current draw or low voltage at the starter?🤔

• Like 1