Defender HD7 Transmission

DefenderGuy

• Member ID:  2,168
  • Content Count:  2

I just got my 2023 DPS HD7 delivered from the dealer and I have been reading CVT transmissions sometimes engage harshly, but since I am completely brand new to the UTV world, I had a question:

- when stopped, shifting to reverse, and then giving it gas, there is a delay in engagement and then a really harsh jerk when it does. When going forward in H or L, there is that slight delay, but there is not a real harsh engagement like reverse does. 

I'm a little concerned but the machine only has 5 miles on it. Am I right to be concerned or is this normal with a CVT transmission.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Edited by DefenderGuy
Additional Information

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Welcome to the forum, there is some play in the helix from the factory that gives you more of a knock than a jerk when you shift to reverse. Part of the problem may be your idle speed when you first start the engine but it should drop and reduce the clunk when its warm. Ease into the throttle when you shift to reverse if you can so that the primary clutch grabs the belt more softly and reduces the clunk.

Drive the machine and enjoy it; hopefully it will become more normal and less noticeable to you.🙂

• Member ID:  2,168
  • Content Count:  2

Thank you! So you don't think there is any issue and that this is pretty normal?

I do try to ease into it as much as possible but it always seems to grab really harsh. Hopefully in time it becomes better, just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong as this is all new to me. Thanks again for your response!