Defender won't turn over

Jim

Question

• Member ID:  2,022
  • Content Count:  2

Hi folks.  I have a 2018 Defender HD 10 that won't turn over.  Battery is good, fuel pump is new 2 months ago.  I've tried both in Park and Neutral while depressing the brake.  I've read about and executed the "Can Am bump" to make sure it's in Park.  I can hear the solenoid under the front hood click when I turn the ignition.  Has anyone else experienced the same and had it resolved ?     

6 answers to this question

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

If the dash doesn't light up when you turn the ignition key on it could be fuse 8 (10 amp) under the passenger seat.

If you want to test the starter directly: Using booster cables carefully supply current from a 12volt battery directly to the starter. Connect the black cable to engine ground and touch the red cable to the starter terminal on the starter solenoid. If the starter turns your problem is probably the solenoid or the diode. From page 102 of the manual. 

It may be a poor ground so check your battery and engine grounds for corrosion. FWIW🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,022

Thank you ... great guidance !  I found a compromised wire.  So glad it's not the starter or solenoid because I can barely find either.  

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  2,027

Andystory my 2022 can am defender hd9 dps, when I turn the key I have no dash lights and the fuel pump won't come on either when you turn the key any Suggestions.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  144

fuse blown, worn through wire, bad ground, bad battery, or bad battery connections

steve

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

22 hours ago, buckdoug1578 said:

Andystory my 2022 can am defender hd9 dps, when I turn the key I have no dash lights and the fuel pump won't come on either when you turn the key any Suggestions.

If you have a volt/ohm meter check the battery first 12.5+ volts, next is F 8 (10 amp) under the passenger seat. You can switch the meter to ohms and check across the exposed terminals on the top of the fuse, you should read zero. A good fuse should light up the dash.

The fuel pump, injectors, ignition sensor and ignition coil are powered by fuse F5 (10 amp) under the passenger seat. R2 is the relay that closes to provide power to F5. Once you have power to the dash with the key on you should have power to F5 if not there are several relays, switch R2 with one that is the same number to see if its a bad relay if not sure put R2 back in its original spot.

If you have a blown fuse(s) you will have to check the wiring to see why the fuse blew. If F5 is blown replace it and if it blows again it may indicate a bad fuel pump?🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  2,027

Ok thank you,  I'll try when I get home and see what's going on