How to mount magnetic light bar to plastic cab roof?

JerkyChew

• Member ID:  1,952
  • Content Count:  6

Hey guys - I recently picked up a 2018 Defender XT with a cab. The previous owner installed a K-force light bar (this one) on the roof. The bar attaches via magnets and he used some kind of adhesive plates on the roof so the bar would stick. Apparently this system isn't ideal for 65MPH highway speeds and the light blew off while towing home. I'm looking for suggestions on a proper way to attach the bar back to my roof. I could try to reproduce what was there, but I'm wondering if there are other, safer options.

I do have a Can-Am headache rack on the way, and K-Force offers a headache rack mounting kit, but since the rack sits slightly below the roof line I don't know how good that option will be. If I have to I suppose I could attach some kind of risers on the rack, but I want to look into putting the light back where it was first. Pic of my current solution attached. šŸ˜ƒ

Open to any ideas; I'm new to the side-by-side game so I figure you guys might have solutions I haven't even thought of. Thanks in advance!

2023-02-20 16.35.37.jpg

• Member ID:  330
  • Content Count:  123

I would say either bolt it through the roof or bolt a steel plate to the roof that the magnets will stick to...

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

The one I had bought to use (still haven't mounted it), even says it is not for use above 60mph. Think it has more to do with how strong the magnets are. Might want to look at a bolt on/perm mount style versus magnetic mount.

24 minutes ago, Steelslinger said:

The one I had bought to use (still haven't mounted it), even says it is not for use above 60mph. Think it has more to do with how strong the magnets are. Might want to look at a bolt on/perm mount style versus magnetic mount.

Thanks - I don't want to drill holes in the roof of my cab. I don't plan on going over 60MPH very often - If I do it would be towing and I could strap it down. Could you tell me what kit you bought?

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Just a mag mount one off amazon for like $35, xprite i think was the brand, no kit. Just never built anything to mount it on. Want to build something removeable that goes over the middle of the roof on a Max model. But haven't really needed it in the 4 winters I've used it, so not a priority.

• Member ID:  1,924

Hi. I put a safety light on top of my HD-9 XT for plowing this winter. Did not want it permanent. Ā Cut a piece of 1/8ā€ piece of steel to fit. Put some ā€œheavy dutyā€ Velcro from Walmart on the plate and onto the roof. Works great. Have never had it come off and this MN winter has made some branches hanging over the road and has not come off. JwalesĀ 

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,166
  • Content Count:  12

Iā€™m considering the magnetic light bar. Iā€™m thinking of gluing a piece of metal to the underside of the roof skin, if that doesnā€™t work then Iā€™ll probably make a metal L bracket that mounts to the two screws for the top door hinge. All I know is I hate rust, so the thought of attaching a metal item to something thatā€™s outside is not my first choice.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, Jwales said:

Hi. I put a safety light on top of my HD-9 XT for plowing this winter. Did not want it permanent. Ā Cut a piece of 1/8ā€ piece of steel to fit. Put some ā€œheavy dutyā€ Velcro from Walmart on the plate and onto the roof. Works great. Have never had it come off and this MN winter has made some branches hanging over the road and has not come off. JwalesĀ 

Thanks, I may give this a shot. I've also picked up some large round magnetic disks from Amazon and may attach them to the roof via this method.