Full cab Defender Lone Star wiring question

GMA

Question

• Member ID:  1,887
  • Content Count:  2

I purchased a bed rack for my Defender (full cab with stereo) and added backup lights.   I am curious what is the best way to pull wire for these.  I also am putting a backup camera on the rig just for kicks.  

Do I take the stereo speaker system out and run the wiring overhead and then down the a-pillars for the front windshield or is it better to run them down the back pillars (are their holes predrilled?) to the battery and then down the little tranny hump to the front switch?  

Please advise and thank you.  GMA

2 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,449
  • Content Count:  16

I was able to run my overhead wiring down the passengers side b pillar through the roll cage. There are holes cut out on the top side and at the bottom cage bung that pops you into the engine compartment. From there I followed the rest of the cabling into the cab and either dumped it off at the battery, or continued to follow the factory harness under the floor and up to the dash. Hardest part is getting the wire fished through but with a fish tape of some sort you can make quick work of it. As for the backup camera, I mounted mine just below the tailgate and followed the taillight wiring all the way through the same location into the cab as the overhead wiring. I wrapped a little heatshield tape around the wiring everywhere the factory wiring had it as well. I'm running a 22 defender xmr but the chassis should mostly be the same. Hope this helps

• Member ID:  1,545
  • Content Count:  18

I have 22 limited max, so it has roof liner not factory stereo roof, however I did install radio and speakers. 
i installed my back up camera to the back of the cab, not on the tailgate (when sprayer tank installed, i remove tailgate) Wires were ran entirely under roof liner and power,wired to power stud installed behind plastic head liner) switch, ( so I can turn off camera at night) and fuse located in headliner. 
i also installed back up lights in rear bumper. This was also connected to same power location in roof.  Wire was also run above headliner to rear B pillar. Pillar has a hole to run down to engine and frame then to bumper.  These are two switches you can see in pick with camera. 
I like camera on cab. This replaces rear view mirror to see what is following or approaching and helps keep track of anything in bed. I installed with formed metal to protect against any tree branches contacting camera when back up in the woods. 08237049-222E-4576-BE05-419560292D09.thumb.jpeg.eb7d52993731c49484482bec8b981317.jpeg0B3214A9-6013-413B-AE81-D8095D36F0EF.thumb.jpeg.d22b86d3a98cfcad3d77a42b26c8a1bd.jpeg