Fuel pickup problem 2020 Can-am Defender XT HD10 Cab Model

Yamahamer

Question

• Member ID:  1,717
  • Content Count:  4

A couple months ago I was descending a long downhill road when the "Low Fuel" light came on in the dash, then a warning that I was about to run out of fuel.  When I fueled later (and after about 20 more miles of driving) the tank would take only 6.7 gallons so at least 3 more gallons were left in the tank.  Two days ago once again I was descending a long (about 5 miles) downhill road, not very steep, when, about a quarter of a mile from the bottom of the hill, the "Low Fuel" light came on again.  A few seconds later the engine quit...and would not restart.  I coasted to the bottom of the hill.  Coming down the hill the fuel gauge was indicating about a quarter of a tank.  When I coasted to a stop on the level at the bottom of the hill the fuel gauge was back to nearly half a tank.  After several attempts at starting the engine finally fired; I drove it home (about 10 more miles) with no more problems.

This scared the heck out of me - I live in a remote area and ride some very remote country and can't be using a rig that shuts off like this.  Anyone else have something like this happen to them, and if so, what did you do to fix it.  I'm open to any ideas!

P1016099rcanamnation8-28-22.jpg

7 answers to this question

• Member ID:  1,318
  • Content Count:  7

Is it mainly shutting off at idle and or when you come to a stop? If so, could be water in the fuel. Mine is doing the same thing. 

Shuts down while I'm driving along downhill.  Runs just fine on the level or going uphill...or even downhill if the tank is still full.  For some reason the fuel pickup is not picking up any gas when the tank is less than half full and I'm driving downhill.  "Low Fuel" warning comes on - and the engine shuts down.  Yet the gas tank is still nearly half full.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  691

You can check a couple of things:

1) When the engine stops try opening the fuel fill and see if the tank has pressure or if the tank is on vacuum, this might indicate that your pressure bleed off or your air intake are not working properly. I know it doesn't address your going down hill directly.

2) You can unscrew the large fitting on top of the tank and carefully lift the assembly up to see if you can see any problem like a kinked or cracked hose or tangled float etc. The pump assembly may be spring loaded so that it can reach the bottom of the tank. FWIW.🙂

• Like 1

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  144

thats a tough one... the easiest thing to do is make sure it is always full but that wont always happen.  id bet that after about 1/2 tank or so the gas can get far enough away from the pickup to starve it for fuel.  as andy said, there may be something tangled but i doubt it.  the pick up does not move around, it is pressed pretty firmly into the base of the tank under the location and has filter on the bottom of it.  that filter doesnt move at all.  about the only thing you could try to do is make a "floater" end that would lock onto the plastic inlet and move around to pick up fuel depending on direction.

the tough part is, this is what the oem pump looks like. the filter is against the bottom of the tank, in about the middle.

image.png.9970c544d5c2fd5d7d23d628bada36ed.png

Something like the flexible pick up on the image below would have to go in place of the filer above, you would probably have to shorten the whole pump as well so that it wouldnt crush the hose on the bottom when the retainer screws back down on the tank. 

image.png.5036369edb23d0a8e1c942fcdeaa80a6.png

steve

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses, they were very helpful.  I also watched some YouTube videos on how to remove/replace the pump assembly and change the filter so I would know what to expect when pulling mine out of the tank.  

Unfortunately I could find nothing that would cause the problem I'm having.  Everything looked exactly as in the photo of the pump assembly above, and I couldn't see any debris in the tank.  I reinstalled the pump and took the Defender out for about a 10 mile drive this morning.  No problem of any sort, even though I've not put gas in it since the stalling episode (fuel gauge still indicating 1/2 a tank or perhaps a shade under).  So I don't know why the low fuel warning came on that last ride - it did not come on today.

Guess I'll just carry extra gas on my longer rides.  If this happens again, or if I find a solution, I'll post again.

• Member ID:  1,660
  • Content Count:  144

keep track of your fuel mileage, always start with a full tank and go x amount of miles.  i would be comfortable with 120 miles in mine before worrying at all.  Mine is hardly past half a tank by then and from what ive found, the gauge is actually pretty close on mine when riding on the flatter stuff. 

realistically I probably get close to 200 miles on a tank most days if im driving decent and in eco mode, even in my max hd10.  thats 20 mpg.

steve

19 hours ago, honda400ex2003 said:

keep track of your fuel mileage, always start with a full tank and go x amount of miles.  i would be comfortable with 120 miles in mine before worrying at all.  Mine is hardly past half a tank by then and from what ive found, the gauge is actually pretty close on mine when riding on the flatter stuff. 

realistically I probably get close to 200 miles on a tank most days if im driving decent and in eco mode, even in my max hd10.  thats 20 mpg.

steve

Got over 2000 miles on the Defender now and I've always kept track of the mileage.  And I've found it depends on the terrain I'm riding.  If I spend all day on steep, rough trails I'm in Low Range the whole time and my mileage has been as low as 12.  But if I'm just out on dirt roads, driving 25-30 mph, my mileage will be 20 mpg or better.

• Like 1