2022 Pro XT power wiring for front and rear high mounted light bars and Stereo.

• Member ID:  1,551
  • Content Count:  19

I've read all the existing  related threads I could find as well as googled wiring options.

I've decided to do the following to power all three power hungry items. Please let me know if I'm there's a better way to power all of this. 

The light bars ( 50" 450w Front and 22" 180w rear) are mounted to the front and rear roll bars under the sport roof.

I've installed the 200w Stereo in the front roof liner overhead #715003098 that I'm installing.

The total load for all three is right around 77amps if all run at the same time, which I can't see me doing very often if ever, but I want to wire it to handle the load just incase.

My plan is to run an 80amp fused 6 gauge wire from the battery directly to the front roof liner overhead. I'll use a secondary fuse block mounted behind the stereo liner that will be Key-on powered via a 120amp relay wired just before the secondary fuse block where each light, rocker switches and the stereo will be wired directly to. Light switches will be mounted on the stereo roof liner's existing knockouts. 

As for routing from the battery to the overhead, I'd like to wire it inside the A pillar preferably down to the dash then through the trans tunnel to the battery located in the under deck storage area unique to the Pro. I'll run the key power for the 120amp relay from behind the dash at the existing accessory powered lug.

I'm assuming I can just ground the fuse block to the roll cage? 

Any thoughts on how you'd do it it differently? Or if I'm doing anything that doesn't sound reasonable or dangerous?

Thanks for your time and attention. It's much appreciated. I'll get pictures and post them as this progresses.

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

You have a nice machine but if I read the spec sheet right it comes with a 650W charging system which limits the amount of amps or watts you can draw. 650W/12volts = 54 amps which is only available above 4000 RPM.

You have to take off the house load that keeps the machine running like: fuel pump, ignition system and ecm, dash guage, power steering, rad fan, lights etc. and it becomes obvious that there is a limited amount of amps left. You should decide what accessories you might want to run at the same time before you wire everything in and find that your stator can't keep up, especially at night. Electrical load management may allow you to get by but others have run into dead batteries and no way to start the machine out on the trail.

Some have tried adding a second battery in parallel;(even an automotive sized one) although this keeps you running longer, they still have to be recharged by the stator, a plug in charger, or solar etc. Good luck with the project and I hope this info helps.🙂

• Thanks 1

• Member ID:  1,551
  • Content Count:  19

1 hour ago, Andystoy19 said:

You have a nice machine but if I read the spec sheet right it comes with a 650W charging system which limits the amount of amps or watts you can draw. 650W/12volts = 54 amps which is only available above 4000 RPM.

You have to take off the house load that keeps the machine running like: fuel pump, ignition system and ecm, dash guage, power steering, rad fan, lights etc. and it becomes obvious that there is a limited amount of amps left. You should decide what accessories you might want to run at the same time before you wire everything in and find that your stator can't keep up, especially at night. Electrical load management may allow you to get by but others have run into dead batteries and no way to start the machine out on the trail.

Some have tried adding a second battery in parallel;(even an automotive sized one) although this keeps you running longer, they still have to be recharged by the stator, a plug in charger, or solar etc. Good luck with the project and I hope this info helps.🙂

Thanks for the response @Andystoy19.Yeah, I'm aware of the shortcomings of even the 850w stator... why no one makes an aftermarket stator that can handle higher loads is beyond me. I'm pretty sure there's a missed market for them.
Prior to putting in a second battery I'm looking at replacing the current battery with an Odyssey Extreme PC1200 which is, as I understand it, a hybrid standard/deep cycle battery for more CCA (540) and more load capacity. It's a squeeze but it'll fit.  And if I still have issues I'll then look at getting a second battery with isolator etc as well. The lights will normally only be used for short durations of 5-10 mins  getting from point A to B. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

I have also checked out the Odyssey but since my machine is not used much the stock battery is still going strong.🙂

• Like 1