22 Max Limited on 30" Terrabites and Halo Locker

dkdesign

• Member ID:  1,545
  • Content Count:  18

Question:  What is the Translation of CanAm Visco Lok??

Answer:  Junk (to put it lightly)

I finally solved this problem with my buggy. New Halo front locker.  This thing is awesome!  

Parts are machined and packaged wonderfully.  Only slight downside is zero instructions included. There are some links to helpful videos on their site as well as some additional youtube vids.  After watching a few I gained the confidence to tear apart the front end of a new machine.  I went the kit route, meaning I reused my existing carrier, added included steel shims in the carrier to replace the plastic stock ones that have far too much slop, removed the ViscoLok (junk), installed new 4 pin locker, new machined half-case, motor actuator, wire harness, and switch.  I did make the mistake (yep I can admit that) in leaving one of the original clutch plates from the visco lok in place.  It is 0.002" thick clutch plate that was stuck to the carrier with the tacky visco grease.  This caused the diff to be always locked. Before completing the install, I did notice it seemed the Diff was locked, but I thought I needed to complete it and power it up to unlock it (this is not true, so if it does not lock and unlock when bench testing, something is wrong).  So, I continued re-assembly and on initial movement, I realized it would not unlock. After a brief call to Halo Help line, Kelly immediately told me I left a clutch plate installed.  After much skepticism and reluctance on my part I had to start over.    Upon taking the machine apart (again) I found the culprit.  It was exactly as Kelly said, and after I removed the left-behind and hidden plate all worked wonderful!  Apparently I was not the first guy to do this.  So word of caution, ensure all visco plates are removed, this sounds simple, but I can attest this can be easily overlooked.

I conquered another challenge on this install.  That is to get wires from the front of the machine into the dash.  After much exploration, I found an existing hole with grommet and one wire with room for more behind the top shock mount on the driver's side.  If you take the plastic cover off inside the wheel well that covers the master cylinder (removed with 1 plastic push pin) you will have a little better access to this hole.  This hole is specifically designed for the guy with a 4' long skinny arm, 2 opposing elbows and a small hand to access. After some determination and intuition, I was able to fish the wire harness thru this hole (I ended up removing the connector from the end of the wire harness and installed from inside the machine out, then re-installed connector).  I did connect to the power terminal in the dash and included a 5 amp fuse and connected to the included rocker switch.

The stock version of this diff has been a huge disappointment ever since I realized how it worked (or didn't work). I took delivery of this bike in early Feb so there was snow on the ground by me.  On some initial rides I realized I only had '3 wheel peel' in the snow. I have hunting trails on my own property that I could not traverse with this machine in stock form, even though I could take my entry level fully stock Polaris 570 Ranger on because it has a locking front diff.  I had a Huge smile on my face after conquering these trails with the Halo installed. I feel this is a must have after-market accessory for me (and I'm sure many others, even though I think it should be standard equip).   I am very Happy with rapid shipping, packaging, customer service, and function from Halo and would recommend to all.  

This is a relatively easy mechanical install for anyone with a few tools and slight mechanical mind.  My first removal and install took most of the day including youtube time.  After the 2nd time of tearing apart and knowing some shortcuts, I can now take the diff from machine to bench in 25 minutes with my 12 year old son helping.  Diff can be taken apart and Halo kit installed in less than a half hour and another 25 mins to re-install and have machine ready.  Wiring took several hours, but most of that was removing items to explore where to run wires.  Had I known about the access I ended up using, time would have been MUCH less.

E2C63221-65B0-4D42-A479-3B05D901A3A1.thumb.jpeg.28693c51e402dc80fafb1253211a077a.jpeg883A6774-69C8-4791-B183-94FE07FCBC79.thumb.jpeg.9041649d8c4059f25afc257c0a0b6c26.jpeg1A95113C-5898-416B-A1BA-09ACC8744379.thumb.jpeg.23bfc8f4a8cf32c44901dfdc88c797ef.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member ID:  338
  • Content Count:  265

Nice. 

Planning to do the Halo Half Case kit myself at some point. Hasn't been a big issue yet, but miss my front lockable diff that I had on my Grizzlies, that thing was damn near unstoppable.

• Member ID:  1,384
  • Content Count:  16

Did you hook up the power for the locker to the keyed power post in the dash?. Thats how I wired my superatv pinlocker ( basically the same as a halo) but I noticed if I run my winch while the locker is locked I can hear the actuator at the front activate. As soon as I let off the winch switch the actuator stops making noise. 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, Defender-Lonestar said:

Did you hook up the power for the locker to the keyed power post in the dash?. Thats how I wired my superatv pinlocker ( basically the same as a halo) but I noticed if I run my winch while the locker is locked I can hear the actuator at the front activate. As soon as I let off the winch switch the actuator stops making noise. 

I did hook up to power post in dash, but all works correct. To me if yours works as you describe it could be a wiring (ground) or possible switch problem.