Short Recovery Boards

MaineMan2

• Member ID:  1,508
  • Content Count:  8

It was only a matter of time before someone thought of this. The 46-48” traction boards aren’t practical for a UTV. Just too big. MaxTrax now offers a 25” long version for UTVs. Stupidly expensive. However, I had one molded plastic thingy years ago in my car that helped multiple people get unstuck in snow. If a little digging and throwing these things in the mud will get me out, I’m all for it. 

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Depends on where you drive, if you drop into a short hole they may help bridge the gap and provide enough traction to get out, but in the muskeg or deep holes sometimes a good winch isn't enough and if you are in deep water or muskeg and its cold you may not want to reach down to place it?🤔

• Member ID:  1,508
  • Content Count:  8

1 hour ago, Andystoy19 said:

Depends on where you drive, if you drop into a short hole they may help bridge the gap and provide enough traction to get out, but in the muskeg or deep holes sometimes a good winch isn't enough and if you are in deep water or muskeg and its cold you may not want to reach down to place it?🤔

You have a point. The closest I’ve come to getting seriously stuck was when I broke through ice into almost 2’ of water. There was water flowing at that point under the ice across the “trail”, otherwise it would’ve been frozen solid too. No way I would’ve wanted to put my arms into that 32.1 degree water!  That incident still has me thinking about a rear winch…

• Member ID:  133
  • Content Count:  692

Check out the garage/builds section for what the rear winch might look like. I initially had mine on the bracket where you could switch it front to back but later moved it up above so I could still tow if I wanted to. I haven't needed to use the rear winch yet but maybe soon.😉

• Like 1